Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

D 5 G xl Jumping

w38571 ยท 2014-11-28 16:46

Got a D5G that has started jumping(pausing-start/stopping) while tramming. Seems worse while going in reverse. Didn't know where to start looking for the problem.

Replies7
  1. #1nowing752014-11-28 18:37

    I got a d5g that a few of the operators say is acting like the transmission is slipping. I have looked at pressures and run it a bit and I have had no problems with it. They say sometimes when you shift to reverse it takes a bit to get going. Let me know if you come up with anything.

  2. #2Landclearer2014-11-28 19:45

    It has been a while but we had a D3g and it would stop then start and would stop sometimes when going forward to reverse. It wound up a wire rubbed and was shorting out. It was on the back of the engine and I think it was the speed censor. It was a long time ago so I am not 100 percent on this.

  3. #3shopguy2014-11-28 22:38

    I got a D4G that zig zags when you are hands off, worse when cold and in reverse ( strange)

  4. #4caterpillarmech2014-11-29 08:05

    Calibration will fix a lot of these problems. The G was a great series. The engine rpm has to be matched to the pump speed. It is not an overly complicated tractor but it is a stickler for details. It really goes good when everything is dialed in. Had a buddy that complained of low power on his 5G. Went out to his shop and adjusted the throttle cable to the ecm and it was a whole new ball game. Said this machine has not moved or spun the tracks like that since new! This will fix your jumping problem. Your ecm is hunting to find the right output from the pumps. It gets confused and will start and stop hence the jumping. I know it is harsh, but a dealer or someone with Cat ET will have to do the calibration.

  5. #5nowing752014-11-29 16:16

    Thanks caterpillar mech. I did adj the the oral cable because it would not go wot. I have et so I'll have to look into the calibration. I did look into doing the stall test but did not see it as an option.

  6. #6caterpillarmech2014-11-30 08:00

    I think is it just labeled as a "Throttle Calibration". All it does is get the engine rpms in range to the pump rpms. The ecm uses these parameters as well as the motor output speed sensors to factor the correct machine speed. When it jumps or lags for a second, this is the ecm not liking the information and getting confused. I have seen the cables get loose from wear and throw them off. Also by guys replacing broken cables and not being aware of the calibration has created issues for me. This should take care of you fault. Let us know how it goes.

  7. #7nowing752014-12-02 22:52

    Thanks again for the info. Not using that dozer now as its a bit small for our current work. Anyone else have trouble with water getting down in the cables and freezing? Bad design having them pointed up.