Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

D 8 k

catdw20 ยท 2016-01-24 15:29

We bought D 8 K.The previous owner has ben running 15-40 motor oil in trans.I think its not right because of condensation in trans.anyone know anything about it?

Replies8
  1. #1Nige2016-01-24 15:35

    Powershift transmission or direct drive...?

  2. #2RedlineDrainage2016-01-24 18:40

    We've always been told run 30 weight and nothing else in our d8k

  3. #3jwest758012016-01-24 19:09

    To4 is what cat is saying to upgrade to.

  4. #4catdw202016-01-24 19:40

    It is power shift .I have always used 30wt in all of my p.s.dozers and scrapers and have never heard of 15-40 in p.s. transmisions. just asking for other opinions. Thanks!

  5. #5oregon96pd2016-01-24 19:44

    Does a k model have a wet flywheel housing? If it does there may be a reason they were running motor oil in the trans......just an idea.

  6. #6catdw202016-01-24 19:49

    Not close to tractor to get ser.#It is powershift .

  7. #7Old Magnet2016-01-24 22:31

    Original engine lube oil was straight SAE30 with recommendation of SAE40 over 90 deg. F. Transmission, bevel gear, steering clutches was SAE30 now would be TDTO (T0-4) SAE30 spec. Finals were SAE50 now would be TDTO (TO-4) SAE50 spec. Do not use engine oils in Transmission Drive Train applications.

  8. #8catdw202016-01-25 01:30

    Thank you for information thought 15-40 was not right now I know I will change it tomarrow.Thanks again!