Someone messed up. The machine lost it's rear idler and the operators kept on'a'runnin' it. Took out the major bogey. Had to pop the whole track frame off.
What!? Do you have details on how this happened? I can't imagine the forces necessary to kill a rear idler.
It actually had the shaft SHEARED on both sides. YIKES!!! Major carnage. I'll get some more pics on Mon.
How can the opperator not know that somethings not right here , He should have had a look and see if something was wrong :beatsme
The answer is simple It was certainly not an ''operator'' but a ''steerer'' Someone i wouldnt let push my wheelbarrow . Regards
An important thing for you guys to know is that I work for a private contractor. We hold the contract for the local utility provider and service all the equipment at the coal power plants. These guys just don't care about the equipment. They have a real strong union and will not be fired for something like this. They just don't care.... Apparently the operator said that he heard some "strange noises". I got out there, took a quick look, saw that the track was sagged all out and the rear idler was bound up and drove er back to the shop. I figured at this point, what's the difference? That noise was hellacious.
The "don't own a bolt in it" attitude eh.
:lmao
Here are some more pics of the jacked bogey. Note that these are AFTER the removable liner was dislodged. All that is disfigured casting. That last shot is what I happened to pull out of the suction screen (trans) of the same dozer..... Looks like the fun isn't over yet. At least it's already on blocks.
Wow.
i'm dying to hear what that costs to fix.
Union or not this guy should have his butt whiped and fired for that. There are to many people out of work to have someone like that employed.
Union or not, there's no excuse. Out here, I feel like abusing equipment as a union operator would get you fired FASTER than being non-union, you can be replaced with a single phone call.
man that is an idot operator.
Definitely a case for "go ahead punk make my day"
WOW thats ugly, send it to Chris91786, he's got a thread where he has brought worst than that back to showroom condition.
Given the sustained damage and the no. of hours that the machine has clocked: is it still worth fixing the machine?
You have a point there....how much you think it will cost to fix 10-15 grand?
Well, Last number I heard was around 10k. Recon'd parts and labor. It has about 20k hours, but was overhauled not THAT long ago. Not fixing it really isn't a financial option right now. We pretty much run'em till they won't can't run anymore. I have a locomotive that is still in operation at one of the yards from the 1940's......
What the hell is that stuff you pulled out? The last pic on the first page.
Hi flashpuppy, I'll bet the problem started long before it finally failed. Somebody had to feel the change in the D10's normal sounds and vibes. Shame on somebody. No pride maybe.
Hey mods, I know that this forum software has an option for a "Reputation" button. Why don't we use it? I would rep you if I could. That is exactly correct my friend. Edit: Long before, I would say not. Within that last 22 hours of operation I would agree with. That was the last time I drove it, and it was just fine. That all came out of the Trans Suction Screen of the same dozer. One of the "steerers" (I like that) said that a couple lights turned on the dash display a few days ago for a minute. I decided to do some investigating and found that stuff. Two heaping handfuls of brass and several 2-3" pieces of what appears to be clutch disk. Glad that trans is still inside it's warranty.... Oh Patten!!!
Thank you, and yes, bring it on down here to Florida and we will do a rebuild for ya.
Looks like a lot of expensive work to fix that! Must have been one of those ID10T errors!