Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

D10T problems?

OilFieldHand ยท 2008-06-22 23:29

Do any of you guys on here work on or run any D10T's? The reason I ask is do you guys have tons of electrical problems similar to the problems Im having? I have lost the Fuel Sensor level twice, due to a "high Voltage" error. Also lost power to the radio, 12v plug and dash gauges. Now I cant get the errors wanting me to change filters I have replaced recently to stop flashing. The CAT mechanic has no clue as to why I keep losing power to my cab. Anyone have the same problems or a similar situation and might know where I could start checking? Thanks!

Replies13
  1. #1Mass-X2008-06-23 00:22

    What's your machine's serial number?

  2. #2OilFieldHand2008-06-23 00:23

    dont know off hand ill have to check it out tomorrow

  3. #3ben46a2008-06-23 09:46

    There was a PIp to tighten the main fuse in the cab fuse panel, its a big bugger and held in with a screw, check that out.

  4. #4tctractors2008-06-23 15:57

    Spark's the wrong size. O,F,H. I would test the warning switches on your filter housings, as they can and do play up, then firstly check all the earth bondings/cables then check the batteries and charging system output with all the toys off, then switch on all the lights and re-check charge rate, if this is found good it's time to start poking about around and under the floor plate both insde and outside of the cab, and check all the wiring + conection joints as some times there is a back feed snag that shows up as over voltage tctractors

  5. #5herbsupurb2008-06-24 17:19

    I would check to make sure your positive battery terminal didn't come loose is off, they did have that problem in the begining.( i know it seems obvious, but sometimes the stupid stuff is over looked). Make sure your cab ground is in good condition. Also know that there are updated flash files for Engine, Advisor, Implement, and Trans ECM's. This new software updates are suppose to get rid of error codes that come up and dont even exist. You can find the personality module serial number of each ECM through your advisor panel i do believe, then contact your cat dealer and see if they are the latest and greatest. Hope this helps, good luck ointhead

  6. #6OilFieldHand2008-06-24 22:40

    Hi guys, thanks for the responce's sorry i have yet to comment back till now. I checked the fuse panel located by my left foot while sitting in the dozer. It has maybe 20 fuses a 15 volt amp and a extra 12v pulg. Is this the correct panel? I didnt find a "Main Fuse" I pulled up a corner of the floor mat exposing the ground cable and it looks to be in good shape. the only thing I noticed is one of the metal brades is cut. But I doubt that matters?????? I last had my D10 updated 3 1/2 months ago. Ill check the positive battery terminal. I kept an idea of what I was doing today when the power would go out. Here is what I found. The radio shuts off, sometimes the 12v also shuts off (I have an XM reciever plugged in) the AC shuts off on level 1. Power shutting off seems to happen more often with the AC on. If the AC is on level 2 or higher then it stays working when the power goes out. Most of the time the power shuts off and comes right back on, never off for more than 5 minutes at a time. Just enough to get really annoying. When the power is off for a long time the radio totally resets itself. And the power goes out on slight bumps, not so much on the big bolders. Hope it helps a little more

  7. #7OilFieldHand2008-06-24 22:47

    Did I keep you guys waiting long enough!?!? ointhead hope you like it.

  8. #8joedirt2008-06-24 23:28

    For what its worth, one of our customers had a 10T on rent and was having electrical problems with it. This machine was working in a pit and would be backing up a steep hill prepping for the next push and would inadvertently shift into neutral. The tractor would take off like a shot until the operator would panic stop the machine. Maybe these machines are just prone to some electrical problems??:beatsme

  9. #9OilFieldHand2008-06-24 23:55

    my mechanic calls them 10 (T) terribles.... My dozer (lease to own) has no other problems what so ever. Just this stupid electrical problem.

  10. #10surfer-joe2008-06-25 00:56

    Checking the grounds would be a first priority. Sometimes when a Cat is worked on, the mechanics overlook hooking the cab grounds (cab to main frame) back. They are vital as you know, being that the cab is mounted on rubber. It may also be that your AC motor is drawing too much current thus popping a circuit breaker. When the breaker cools, the circuit becomes live again. Maybe check that circuit for amperage draw if you can. Cat has had, for years, a huge problem with electrical connectors and has spent a small fortune trying every type made for endurance and conductivity. If you have a loose or damaged connector, it can cause this problem -- and vibration can make it happen and then disappear quickly. Makes finding the problem very frustrating. It may be only one pin in a connector, or the entire connector. You will have to write down the exact details when each outage occurs so that your wrench bender can get some better idea of where to look from your notes. I worked on many an electrical problem on big Cats and I'm sure the frustration I felt at the time in no way helped my overall health. The manuals were difficult to understand, often the wiring diagrams were not correct or current, and the troubleshooting guides usually did not present with the type of trouble I was looking at. These newer units with the computer troubleshooting guides seem to make diagnosing problems easier and quicker, but they are hugely more complex and if the system does not point you in the right direction or indeed, in any direction, you are off to a bad start. But try your grounds first, make sure you take them apart and give them a good cleaning, then a tight reinstall. Good Luck!

  11. #11Eric2008-06-25 12:05

    We've had 2 problems with the 10T. We run 2 of them at our mine. The older of the 2 has had trouble withthe dozer joystick. Every once in a while it just refuses to work. Already replaced it twice. Something in the harness' I suppose. That same tractor also has had to change out the right steering solenoid a few times, high voltage issues. The newer 10T is a horse. We have had it for a year, and aside from being pretty close to needing new tracks and grousers... regular undercarraige wear out, the thing has been bullett proof. Cat must have worked the bugs out in the year or so differance in model year. one is a 05? the other is 07.

  12. #12tctractors2008-06-25 16:20

    Blast of power. Just a thought , if the air /con is not used does it still play up???? tctractors

  13. #13OilFieldHand2008-06-25 20:10

    Alright guys figure this one out. I lost power again this morning for a really long time, about 2 hours. I finally got a chance to stop pushing and started messing around with the fuse box and I seen the 12v plug and gave it a shot. It worked, I got power to the XM reciever. So somewhere along the line I lose power to the radio, ac, and the 12v plug (located by the ripper control) basically the cab. But the 12v plug in the fuse panel works fine??? No, if the AC is off it still happens just not as often.