This was one of the more interesting things I have seen and it may have been brought up before but does anyone know the story behind this? http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-Cnr8OqfZ58
The story I heard was that the D-11 fell into an old underground mine shaft while benching for the dragline. The area had been mined underground at one time. Since it happened within reach of the dragline, the easiest extraction was as shown, pick it up and set it down safely out of the way. I was told it happened at the Black Thunder mine, and the dragline is Ursa Major. This is all second hand info, so if I am off, please let me know.
I did the same thing with a D8L back in 1987 when it fell into a dragline firebreak cut. That was caused because there was fog down in the cut and the operator just plain didn't see the firebreak and reversed right over the edge. Engine siezed because he didn't think to shut it down. Never took a video though. I may have some photos somewhere, I need to take a look.
I was on a 455-1 and fell through a 4 foot seam while we were taking stumps and it kinda takes your breath away.It was mined in the early 1900 hundreds and most of it had caved in but there were a few places that did not.We found a complete cart in poor condition. On a different location taking stumps we found lots of mine rail and a complete pick with handle in very nice condition.
I guess I should have added that the stumps we were taking out were not tree stumps,they were coal stumps left behind to support the ceiling.They remove more of the stumps on their way back through when the mine is finished.