There is one for sale about 60 miles from me. The Facebook ad is posted by an elderly lady, so I assume that she is selling off her late husband's stuff. Machine looks good in the photos, and the description says that it ran great, but has been sitting unused for many years. She is asking $1,500. I know that this isn't much to go off of, but I really don't have any idea what those are worth. BTW, it does have a hydraulic blade on it.
Check out this video that will give you some education on the machines themselves. A few years ago when I ended up appraising collectible iron, the basement value of a running tractor that had been partially restored, cleaned and painted was in the $2,500 range. Today with all that is going on, I'm thinking off the top of my head that it is a lot lower.
Thank you for posting that. Very informative. I now know a few things to check when I go look at it.
If you need a small dozer, you're not going to touch anything complete and running for that price. I'd agree with John, the basement used to be $2,500. If anything I'd say it's gone way up for running and complete or close, and down for rough and ugly basket case projects, nobody can get help, and nobody wants to work anymore. I know I'd rather have a D2 than a lot of other brands of small dozers that you see out there, if we're talking under $10K.
I've run them before. They are better than a horse and not much else. It is the ultimate yard ornament.
I spoke with the seller, and the main engine is stuck, but the pony motor is not. I may still go check it out, but its value to me went way down when I learned that. I guess it could be a fun project, if the rest of the machine is in good shape, but the price would need to come down accordingly.
The youngest daughter and I went and checked it out today. Undercarriage is probably 40%(guesstimate), all of the belts and hoses are totally rotten, the main clutch lever won't move, neither brake pedal will move, and most everything else is seized up solid. Needless to say, it gets a solid NOPE from me!
you'd really have to desire a project to take that on. It sounds like a wrecker or crane load and then beat it all apart and prostrate before it with an open wallet.
Yeah, the seller has equipment to pick it up and put it on a trailer, and I have stuff to unload it with. I think it would be more labor than parts to get it into functional condition, and I certainly don't have the time to devote to it.
In the size range, a "modern" mitsubishi bd2g with the 6 way blade will shape small circles around it.
did you get a picture of it, others may be intrested
Yeah, I got a couple or three. It has some sort of giant tank fashioned onto the back of it (which seems to be well done). The dude said that the former owner was going to attach a horizontal drill to it, and the tank has something to do with that.
It is the later version with the cross flow head, and the machine looks pretty good from a few feet away, but like I said, the main engine is locked up, and so are most of the controls.
I just now checked on Facebook marketplace, and the price has been reduced to $1,000. One other thing that I hadn't mentioned is that the seller lives at the top of a hill, with a steep winding gravel driveway over a mile long. The trailer that I was going to use is a bumper pull type. If I loaded the trailer for proper tongue weight on level ground, then I would have a lot more tongue weight as soon as I headed down the hill, and even more when braking. Pretty soon the steering axle is getting light, and negotiating corners becomes an issue. Not to mention possibly having an electrical short or poor connection in brake wiring, which would result in 13,000 pounds of dozer and trailer suddenly making decisions about trajectory and velocity of the whole contraption.
Dammit! I've been waiting on another Steve Ahlgren thread like FOREVER..............
I'd be interested if it was close. Better locked up than slopped out, it wouldn't be locked up if it was wore out.
???
HeavyEquipmentForums right up there with: HeavyEquipmentForums
I checked out the second thread that you referenced. Weird, but cool. I love the huge machines, but on 3 acres?
the sized things can probly be freed up with some time ive had one for many years . use it for dirt work snow plowing its a great little machine . at the end of the day its amazing how much material i will move . all the while chuggin along like an old turtle . but you dont get in a hurry lol it doesnt do any good . and that machine was built when men were men ! and the soft dumb ***** that we have for help now could even adjust the blade let alone start it