Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

D3 C frame bushing removal

sreihart ยท 2014-04-13 19:43

I'm new to the forum and glad I found it. I'm in the process of changing out the pins and c frame bushings where the c frame mounts to the tractor. What is the easiest way to remove the bushings. I'm thinking torch but wanted to make sure that was the easiest way. I have the pins out and c frame lowered to where its out of the way. Any guidance would be greatly appreciated. Thank you.

Replies9
  1. #1DMiller2014-04-13 21:13

    I would use a welder to run a few beads and shrink the bushing from the frame, gas axes tend to be less than picky on where to burn through.

  2. #2sreihart2014-04-13 23:14

    Not sure I understand. Wouldn't heat cause the bushing to expand? I must be missing something. Thanks

  3. #3RZucker2014-04-13 23:52

    No , when the welds cool they will cause the bushing to contract in diameter. Myself, I usually run 2 passes around the I.D. of the bushing near the center. Usually they fall out as they cool.

  4. #4sreihart2014-04-13 23:55

    Oh, that makes perfect sense. Thanks.

  5. #5DMiller2014-04-14 08:55

    one note, put the ground directly to the bushing opposite from where you will be welding, that way you won't weld the bushing to the frame as it does shrink up. The steel actually draws in as it welds so the bushing will shrink, can run beads circular to the bushing or across the bushing from side to side as both will work. Used the same method to remove dry sleeves from old engines.

  6. #6Delmer2014-04-14 10:13

    Yes, the weld heats the bushing and expands it, but the frame doesn't expand, and the hot metal is softer than the frame so it "squishes" while hot, and shrinks when it cools. I thought a few welds the length of the bushing done in quick succession was best, then let it cool completely before you to pound them out. If it pulls out easy there's no need to wait obviously. Use the same principle on broken bolts by welding a nut onto them. If you're comfortable with the torch that works fine too, but welding is just as easy and a lot safer.

  7. #7RayF2014-04-14 18:53

    Delmer does a good description of how it works. And if you want to try something easier again than welding or cutting just grab a torch with a 15 or 20 cutting tip and and run a melt line the length of the bearing. Just start one end and heat with the tip close till the surface just starts to puddle then move through the bearing slow enough that you get that effect through the bore. Its as equally effective as welding,quicker and cleaner.

  8. #8RZucker2014-04-15 00:28

    Just be extremely careful with the torch trick. Ive had cracked bushings throw large chunks when they expanded. Il stay with welding them out.

  9. #9RayF2014-04-15 07:18

    Thanks for the heads up. I've been taking bearings out on a daily basis for 26 years and never seen one throw chunks so far. Always something to learn.