Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

D3 Winch Problems

BenH ยท 2014-09-02 19:43

I have a mid 70's D3 with a PTO driven Rome winch on the back, I believe it's hydraulically actuated. I'm just starting to use the winch for logging and am having a few little problems. The first day I used it, it would wind up decent, but it seemed a little low on power. Any thoughts on what could cause that? The second day, it wouldn't even pull the dozer backwards on a flat with the brakes off. I was still able to pull logs (with the winch locked), and I pulled several, then it started slipping and wouldn't allow me to pull any load at all. It would seem there would be some adjustment somewhere. Does anyone have any experience with these type of winches? I'm told it's almost identical to some older John Deere winches. Any thoughts appreciated.

Replies3
  1. #1wosama931b2014-09-03 12:28

    Hello BenH, My book has the Rome WX-3000H in it, Did you Ck. The filter?? Also make sure that it has the correct Oil, to light weight oil and it may not work. It also shows a pump, brake and clutch. Does it free wheel good when pulling the cable out?? I have been working on the other side of the mountain in Back Creek, Good Luck, Sam.

  2. #2BenH2014-09-03 12:54

    That is the exact model I have. I just replaced the filter, hardly been used at all since then. But I suppose there could have been a build up of junk and it could be plugged. I may check that. Do you know the correct weight of oil? I have straight 30w in there now, which is what the Cat dealer thought it should be, but they were just guessing , didn't have a spec book on it. It freewheel a little tight actually. I have no idea where any adjustments for the clutch or brakes might be. What book do you have that shows this winch? Where are you working?

  3. #3wosama931b2014-09-03 16:38

    Hi BenH, This Old Book says 9 Qt. 10W oil, Shell No. 53134. Make sure that you do not have any foreign material between the facings. Also the book says to use high idle when winching, and disengage power train drive. on 221 west of roanoke, when i have time. sam.