I have a D31-16 (Serial 26411) and realised it has 2 undercarriage plugs that are missing. I noticed as a small amount of oil came out. See the images: https://photos.app.goo.gl/tJkzbD9Yg81iZ7167 https://photos.app.goo.gl/CGf6Rzyn9CdaBGrb8 https://photos.app.goo.gl/g6DwbgMifSm6NWdw9 It is for the steering clutch according to the manual: http://prntscr.com/yz58n3 There plug at the back is there and holds oil in. I drained it and refilled, it was full so they are not connected. The other 2 without plugs are threaded but no plugs in them. I assume this is unnecessary as it came this way and is working fine but wanted to check. And generally though I should get some plugs just to keep moisture out if I end up in a bit of water. Anyone know what these plugs are for and if they should be plugged and holding any fluid?
Does the machine have dry steering clutches or wet? I'd guess dry. On some older JD's and Cats with dry steering clutches I've read that some users would remove the drain plugs or slack adjuster bolts for the brake band so if any moisture gets in the clutch compartments it will drain the excess water instead of filling the compartments with water that could cause more damage. I think it's better to leave them in and check them on a regular basis, especially if you've worked in wet conditions.
True, but the other issue was oil leaking into the dry clutch case, which I believe can happen. Leave the plugs out so the oil doesn't ruin the clutch facings. YMMV, need to know if this variation is new enough to have wet clutches, in which case there may be more questions as to why the plugs are missing in action.
On my Cat the clutch release cylinders/hyd. lines inside the steering clutch cases could leak oil. Also if the seals for the bevel gear or finals were bad could leak oil into the clutch compartments.
With the leaking oil, Id left the dozer sitting for ~3months parked with the front tracks on blocks so I suspect a small leak accumulated over that time and came out all at once as I drove off. It doesn't seem to be a heavy flow/leak... but time will tell. regarding the clutch, I assume its dry... the machine is 80's I believe: D31-16 Serial 26411
My D31-20 has wet clutches. No idea about the 16 sorry.
Confirmed it is dry clutches. New plugs on order, I'm going for the middle ground of will put them in, and check when I do greasing etc to make sure I'm not storing leaks there. Thanks for the advice and feedback.
Put anti-seize on the plugs so they're easy to remove and don't reef them as tight as you can. Would be good to clean the threads up first.
Thanks, yet did a clean and put grease on them. I think pulling them out to check will become part of the pre-use grease routine.