Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

D353 engine

jeff230 ยท 2021-04-16 23:26

I have a D9H that the engine started making a bad knocking noise. The temperature and oil pressure were normal. Is there anything that could be causing this besides internal failure. I also would like to know if a D353 power unit engine will work in the D9

Replies12
  1. #1Bluox2021-04-16 23:37

    Open the injection lines one at a time and see if the knock goes away ,if it does replace the nozzle on that hole. Depends on which power unit. Bob

  2. #2Dave Neubert2021-04-17 08:54

    Some of the power units had a different crank I think it is mainly the rear flange that is different

  3. #3JD955SC2021-04-17 17:28

    Diesels can have a fuel knock. you can also cut and inspect the engine oil filter to maybe find out if you the bad news type of gold.

  4. #4kshansen2021-04-17 19:09

    If you had the S/N for both the D9H and the D353 Power uint it might be possible to use SIS to see if anything was the same like block and crankshaft.

  5. #5jeff2302021-04-17 22:09

    I appreciate the info. Think I pinpointed where the knock was coming from today. I will post the serial number of my engine and the power plant engine I'm looking at soon and any help would be appreciated.

  6. #6Old Magnet2021-04-18 00:14

    Industrial engines usually have a single section oil pump/sump where tractors have three section pumps with front and rear scavenging. Not sure about different crankshafts on the D353. Investigation required.

  7. #7Cmark2021-04-18 00:38

    Looks like a bad case of RUD.

  8. #8jeff2302021-04-18 18:12

    Dozier serial number is 97U1 and up D353 engine Power unit serial number is 46B5479 D353E engine

  9. #9Old Magnet2021-04-18 20:03

    Here's what I have on D353 & D9 crankshafts. I don't see anything unique about the crankshafts but I don't want to be the last word. LOL

  10. #10Nige2021-04-18 23:27

    Crankshaft 1P-9501. Services to 2P-2800. So depending on when the engine was built it could have either 1P-9501 or 2P-2800. There is no service documentation relating to the change. Oil pan is a 2L-3512 group. Engine Arrangement number is 8L-3921. Crankshaft 2P-2800. Oil pan is a 6N-0995 group. Oil pans are significantly different but with the different application of the two engines I suppose that's understandable. To find any more differences would need the S//N (or better still the Arrangement Number) of the dozer engine .

  11. #11Old Magnet2021-04-19 01:17

    Unfortunately it's casting numbers that are critical. Who knows what changes have been made over the life of these units that can not be traced by part numbers. Bad news is you have to get into the engines to find out what the casting numbers are.

  12. #12Old Magnet2021-04-24 11:34

    Another late thought after seeing a related post. Be sure to check that the Industrial Engine has the auxilliary/PTO drive. As I recall not all of them do.