Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

D39PX-21A items to check before buying

adeso · 2013-06-22 11:47

I'm looking at a 2007 Komatsu D39PX-21A, 6 way dozer, EROPS, rear drawbar, 25” track shoes, 3950 hours, SN #2098; how are these machines and what should I watch out for? I think it was used for a rental, and I'm not going to use it for production work, just something I can tinker with on the weekends to improve some acreage that I'm buying so I'm ok if it goes down for some minor stuff and I have to wait on parts. What I don't want to do is end up with a huge money pit. Thanks guys!

Replies7
  1. #1adeso2013-06-24 01:05

    They also have an old D65P-6 there, any opinions on these? the power shift scares me a little on the old machines

  2. #2adeso2013-06-25 19:16

    Got to go run the D65P-6, seems like a strong machine but the right clutch is slow to release. Is this normally an adjustment or signs of major issues? I know you guys would be just guessing without seeing the machine but any input is appreciated. if you pull the right steering clutch and press the brake, it wants to bog the machine down then it will release and allow the machine to turn

  3. #3adeso2013-06-29 00:43

    so no one knows this machine? is there a link somewhere on here for things to check for guys who are new/ low experience to look for on a used machine?

  4. #4denver m farms2013-06-29 22:33

    I can tell you I have about decided I am done with komatsu dozers, the older ones seem to have a lot of steering clutch and brake issues, and there parts for those sort of problems seem higher than some of the others. And the newer ones I just don't like running, they all seem light for there size. I don't know what you want to spend, but for what I'm guessing that d39 is priced for, you could get a mid 2000s 550 or 660h John Deere, and they are a better dozer.

  5. #5crazy-mp2013-06-29 22:58

    The company I work for has 5 Komatsu dozers from D21 to D65. We have never had a major break down (knock on wood) I have had a couple of screw ups when ordering cutting edges for one of my D39's I guess it came factory with a narrower blade and a wider one was put on either when my boss bought it or by the previous owner, but I had to order a different bolt pattern cutting edges. Only parts I would recommend you look at would be the same ones that are typical wear points on any dozer like sprockets, track chains, make sure idlers are turning and no flat spots, look at the pads makes sure they are not worn beyond what you think is reasonable, check the engine for uncommon sounds or excessive smoking, check the fluid levels move it around a bit or demo it if the dealer will let you take it for a few days, makes sure its not puking oil anywhere. Seems like radiators have problems if the dozer was used to clear many trees branches always find their way into radiators or hydraulic lines.

  6. #6adeso2013-06-29 23:01

    Ok, thanks for the info, the bigger machine (old 65P-6) has that clutch issue that is slow to release. I was hoping the machine would go cheap at auction but I will count on it not being a simple fix then

  7. #7adeso2013-06-29 23:04

    I played with it for about 20 min on the lot, minimal blowby out the oil fill cap at idle (some but not more than expected) and at RPM she would spin the tracks with the blade buried. only thing is that right steering clutch would not release right away, unless the RPMs were up it would stop the machine with the lever pulled when I stepped on the brake.