Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

D3b 1981 27y1163

Masonfix · 2018-02-02 01:41

The bulldozer has been sitting in the elements for about 6 years because it wouldn’t start any idea where I should start diagnosing problems. Also what’s going to need to be replaced from sitting for that long. All it’s missing the the starter solenoid and a battery.

Replies9
  1. #1Bls repair2018-02-02 06:25

    What were the symptoms?

  2. #2Vetech632018-02-02 06:38

    Fresh batteries, fresh filters, oil, and fuel, and antifreeze would be a good place to start. Clean up the rats nests and watch out for those little bastards, they like to scare the hell out of you!

  3. #3kshansen2018-02-02 06:54

    Good ideas above first thing I would do is do whatever you need to do to get a wrench on the engine and turn it over at least two full revolutions by hand. Once you are sure it is free and not hydro-locked I'd pull the starter and check it out. Then what Vetech63 says fluids and filters. At the least open drain plugs enough to let out any rain water or condensation that may have gotten inside. Think I would also have intake off and a steel plate handy to choke of air just on the chance something in injection pump/governor isn't working right and it wants to run away!

  4. #4thepumpguysc2018-02-02 08:32

    If you search "d3b injector pump" many, many articles will pop up, explaining filter clean out & such. You'll wanna clean/replace the fuel filters BEFORE cranking & diagnosing.. no sense in creating a problem.

  5. #5Masonfix2018-02-02 09:23

    Thank you for all the responses. I will get started on fluids as soon as possible

  6. #6kshansen2018-02-02 09:37

    Did you check to see if it will turn over by hand yet? would be a shame to change oil and filters to only find it is seized up from water down the stack or just a bit of condensation from sitting!

  7. #7AllDodge2018-02-02 09:48

    Found one similar a few years back but was a D3 and rebuilt the motor. Look forward to seeing what yours turns out to be

  8. #8kshansen2018-02-02 11:44

    I would like to find one of those for cheap with some problem someone can not figure out!

  9. #9Masonfix2018-02-02 22:29

    Where can I turn it over by hand?