Greetings from the cold/snowy nort-country! i recently purchased a Cat D3B SN# 27Y02933 with 7900 hrs on the working meter. Nice clean functional machine. Lots of blowby, and I mean LOTS! Looking for advice on a logical progression of checks to determine cause(s). I have been working on engines/tractors most of my life but with the exception of a couple John Deere “R’s”, I have very little diesel experience. I have purchased a full set of actual CAT service manuals and the parts manual D3B Y1-99999(dated Dec 1988). Not afraid to tackle/learn anything new. In the process of replacing the idler yoke and front idler now. In splitting the track to replace the RH tensioner seals, I found both RH idler bearings had the bottom flange broken clean off at the 90deg flange. At some point in its past, it came down hard enough to bend the tension yoke rod several degrees where it passes thru the support! BushMike
3204 they have 1 compression ring 2 all together does it start and run good? How bad does it use oil? The blow by is coming around the pistons. The only fix is a rebuild with 3 ring pistons. I did a rebuild on one 3 years ago had 6000 or there abouts in parts and machine work.