Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

D3B clutch and brake adjustment

grumpy ยท 2007-04-26 13:58

Hello, I'm back again with more problems to solve. I have talked to several people that say the clutches really have no adjustment there is only the cylinder presure that disengages them. The brake should have some adjustment i would think. Anyway here is my problem the left clutch will turn the tractor and the left brake will spin it around. The right clutch will not turn the tractor at all, the brake would for a couple of weeks now it will just barley. BUT if i load it on the trailer and tap the right clutch it works fine. Got me thinking that maybe there isnt enough presure to disengage it with all the resistance that is on the ground. Anyone got any ideas.::usa

Replies6
  1. #1bkbuilders2010-04-25 19:37

    I'm having the same problem with mine. If the clutch is wet with oil, the plates may not be disengaging from each other. Check to see if the clutch is dry and the housing is dry. If the housing has oil in it, it might have a leaking seal that's causing you greif. Post your findings.

  2. #2watglen2010-04-25 22:29

    Sounds like your brake pads have oil on them I recall having this exact symptom on a dozer. The brakes just wouldn't work, and during the diagnosis, i went crazy with the lube oil to make sure everything was good and lubed. Little did i know at the time that is exactly what not to do on a dry band machine.

  3. #3turbo87812010-04-25 23:36

    I had this problem on mine and it turned out that i needed to rebuild the the valve that dissengages the clutch as it was not giving the little cylinder enough pressure to kick uot the clutch. Will it turn if you are pushing a full blade or going up a steep hill. Just trying to figure out if its the clutch thats not releasing or the brake thats holding. It's not a big deal to replace the clutches and brakes because you don't have to pull the ROPS or the fuel and hydraulic tank

  4. #4bkbuilders2010-04-26 08:13

    the cylinder looks good and clean and opens perfectly when engaged, when i tighten adjustment slightly the track won't turn. clutches were replaced last year. It turns sometimes but not usually. clutch disengages sometimes but not usually

  5. #5turbo87812010-04-26 11:14

    Ok, if you've ruled out all other possabillities and you KNOW for sure that it is getting enough pressure to release the clutch and that its not just the brake out of adjustment, then you can try washing out the clutch and brake compartment with solvent. First I wuold remove the drain plug and make sure that it is not plugged with crap befor you start and you might get rid of some of the oil so it wont get mixed with the solvent. Then put the plug back in and fill it about half way up with clean minneral sovent and run it for a while and make sure you try to turn a lot because you want the solvent to get in between the clutch discs and wash the iol out. Now pul the plug and let it drain and run it some more to help dry it out. I would run it for about a half an hour before doing any hard work with it. That being siad I would only do that as a last resort when it comes to the piont where you may have to pull the clutch anyway. I just can't help thinking that you may have some other problem

  6. #6bkbuilders2010-04-26 11:35

    Many thanks Turbo, I'll give it a shot