What do folks think about some of the aftermarket starters? CAT Part number 4N0241 CAT reman 10R5355 cost $655.14 core $635.00 Roberts and sons $395.00 https://www.robertsandson.com/product/190-50146/&q=17103 Rebuilt the motor and it needed another starter, so figuring I'm non-commercial I'll get one of the cheaper planetary starters off ebay for $200. It is about 15 pounds lighter and was easier to install then original due to design. It started the dozer maybe 20 or so times over the last few years. I now drags and barely turns the engine over. https://www.ebay.com/i/282110591804...ay1dzyLX-TNAba6gUZsBspY2Dq3LZRIYaAn0pEALw_wcB Called CAT and as the prices above also doesn't include shipping
Most starters can be rebuilt, also ck The ground just above the starter, it's hard to see, on the fire wall and on the backside. Also sometimes the cable that is grounded to battery is loose in the connector, making you think the starter Is bad.
I personally haven't had much luck with electrical parts bought on ebay. I believe most are made in CHINA! Not sure about those folks.
Thanks, I did check all connections, and even took so heavy cables and run additional connections for ground and hot, but it changed nothing. Its doing just like before I rebuilt the motor. Called the local repair shop and they said they can only get brushes, solenoid and small stuff. I'm thinking the old one needs to be rewound. The local shop said to bring in the newer one and they can get more parts for it, so I'm going to take it to them tomorrow. Called DB Electrical which where the ones which showed a pic of the direct drive one. After talking to them, they said the pic is wrong and the one there selling is the gear reduction just like the one I bought. Agree with ebay, but look all over the place before I go to ebay. Appears DB is selling the starts under several vendors. Haven't called the other guy in first post, will wait until I see what the local guy tells me If all else fails, guess I'll spend another 200
The armature is burned and the shop is ordering a new one Contacted Delco Remy and the replacement for the original 4N0241 is 10461069 a 37MT The planetary type like the one I bought is 19026027 a 38MT but doesn't know if it is clocked correctly. He used the ebay site listing 8200026 as a cross reference The good thing, if I have trouble again I'll just buy the 37MT at $220. Reason for not going this route now is because the original starter was a real bear to remove because it was so tight to get at one of the bolts
Those Nippondenso starters weren't any good when they were new. The Delco 37MT would be a better choice but even those may be built in China now unless you can find an original USA version even if it's a rebuild.
I think the Japan built came with the ND starter and the US made came with the Delco starter. Shop rebuilding engine said I should put a Delco in. I had the ND starter checked when the engine was out and that shop said it was heavier duty than the Delco and nothing wrong with it. New Delco was over $600 at the time. Had to have the starter rebuilt at a later time and it was OK until I got stuck. Broke through frozen ground into soft loam. Had to wait a few days for the gravel pit to bring a D5 over to pull it out. Tracks were completely frozen. Went back on the weekend with a big tarp and had to run a generator and heater for a day to thaw the tracks out so I could move the machine. Got it started but starter acted up a short time later so took it back in. You think a D3B is bad, try a 931B loader. Starter had a lot of corrosion around the brushes and brush holders. I think it was from condensation when thawing the tracks out. Hasn't had any problems since. I had a stubby wrench that was able to get the bolt close to the frame. Definitely a 2 person job and need the belly pan off but starter comes out the top. Not a fun job at all.
Hope it all works and there are no other issues. I disconnected the left cylinder and let it lay down for more room
This is the collection of customized wrenches that someone posted for getting the job done on the D3/3204 starter. I think it was for the 931B
I like it
I agree those starters are a Payne, i had trouble with mine, finally after taking it out 3 times, found a bad wire. Not enough juice getting to the starter, ran a new red wire to the switch. Good luck with the fix, it's very frustrating when things don't work correctly.
Installed and it cranked over faster then I remember when it was new, so all good. But then again I don't think it cranked over a full revaluation before it started
Not sure but think you may have voided a warranty or two there! Never could understand why who ever designed the first starters did not make the flange bolt diameter a 1/2 inch bigger bolt circle! That's about all it would take to let you fit a socket on an extension down the side to install or remove the mounting bolts. Even the ones that are mounted with 12 point bolts are a pain!