Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

D3B trans problem. stops moving randomly

oldsmokey97 ยท 2011-10-10 17:14

Working on a cat d3b right now that will randomly stop moving when warm and the pick back up about 6 seconds later. Pump pressure is very erratic between 300 and 100psi. Im am not using a liquid filled gauge and the pressure fluctuates so fast it seems like the needle should break. When the machine quits moving, the pressure will fall to around to a steady (no extreme fluctuations) 60 psi for a couple seconds and quit moving. When is starts to pick back up, it begins jerking and then takes off fine again. The guy just put in a new pump, converter, and pickup tube to try to solve the problem with no such luck. I made a plexiglass cover to use as a top cover so that i could see better. The spring between the relief valve and the load valve is shuddering back and for very quickly just like the pressure gauge. I am under the impression of a aeration problem or even a starvation problem. What sort of sump/pickup assembly does this thing have and what could i look for? I had another used valve body assembly in which the housing bores looked in better shape than the one that was on there so i switch all spools and internals out of one and put it in the other with no change in the issue. Running out of things to check. Lance

Replies2
  1. #1Old Magnet2011-10-11 12:23

    Here are the details of the suction strainer. Also check "O" ring seals on the connecting tube.

  2. #2JeremiahSr2011-10-11 15:04

    I have had a problem with the pick up tube inside the case. You can't see it until the trans is out and the cover is pulled from the planetary assembly. I confirmed this by over filling the trans and running it for a short time to check for aeration. I properly cleaned and applied J B Weld to the tube where it goes into housing and haven't had a problem since. Its that #3 in the drawing. It presses into housing...no seal or o-ring. Couldn't see any cracks in pipe so i flipped it over, cleaned all oil off it and sealed it up. It is not a small job.