im looking at buying a d3c series 2 ( Ser- 4hj00216 ) ( 4800 HRs ) I have test run it ( it was about 45 degrees out )and when I first started it and let it run for a few minutes and put it in first it would not move until I gave it almost full throttle and it was sluggish , and as I ran it for about 10 minutes it started shifting better at lower RPMs , is this normal or is something tired in it ?
I’ve seen it happen when it was real cold out 15 and under. Shouldn’t happen at 45. Did it get better when machine warmed up?
yes it slowly improved as it warmed up.
May be as simple as the wrong oil. Bob
maybe, when I looked at the cat I checked the oil and it looked good. maybe a good oil change would fix it . I spoke to the renter where the cat is sitting and he said he has seen it out of the shed 4 times just to grade the driveway and he has been there for 10 years.
My D3 II is fairly sluggish when first running too. It'll move in a straight line, but you'll have to give it at least half throttle in order to get it to turn. I've done the regular transmission maintenance of the years, but no change. Its been like that since I bought it at 4k hours. It now has 5.5k or so hours on it. When everything gets up to operating temp, everything is great.
If it's been that little used in 10 years you can probably bet that it's a good while since the oil & filter was changed. The D3C application seems to be one of the cases where a multigrade TO-4 might be the best thing in order to avoid issues when the transmission is cold. Something like the attached, but not necessarily Cat branded oil.
thanks for the information guys, I think I will buy it and completely service it add the oil per Nige recommendation see how it turns out.
I think when you price that synthetic multi weight oil you may change your mind ,besides that chart says 30wt is fine for 40 degrees .You may want to pull the filter and if it looks gummy put in a new filter and a couple of gallons of diesel ,run the machine a couple of hours then change oil & clean screen. Good luck Bob
I was advised to put 10-30 TO-4 in my 931B so it would be good for year round use. When it's cold it does take a little more throttle to move but I don't like to rev it too high till it warms up pretty good. Once the temp gauge comes up a little then I'll run it up to full throttle.