Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

D3C lgp questions

jwest75801 ยท 2014-05-21 23:46

Hello all I have a d3c 7xlo. She has been a great machine and has well paid for her self over the years. I have changed hydualic eng oil and tranny oils, but I have never changed the bevel gear oil is there any other fluid I need to change. How do I change the bevel gear oil and what type of oil does it take. Next question when operating I don't know if I am pushing her to hard or what but she gets hot water temp goes over 190 f when I first bought she was doing this then so I changed hoses and water pump and thermostat the radiator has been roded a d I keep it blown out after each 8 hrs it does not use fluid but when the water temp gets hot so does the tranny. I am missing the fan shroud would this affect it?? Next thing is when in am pushing with the dozer in second gear about 3/4 throttle my dozer will stall is this right but if I run full throttle it helps. Also sometimes when I am pushing trees my left track will stop why is this Thanks for any help

Replies16
  1. #1pp13bnos2014-05-22 00:26

    My manual is at the shop right now, otherwise I could answer the oil type...but off the top of my head I used to-4 80wt? My D3, runs about 190F all day long. The transmission will run upto 200 or so after a couple hours of pushing hard. At that point, I high idle the machine until it comes down around 180. Usually only takes a couple minutes. It never ran this warm until I added about 7/8" or so of new grouser bar material. Before that, It ran at 190ish. Maybe someone else can help with the left track...but that doesn't sound good.

  2. #2Nige2014-05-22 07:25

    Bevel gear case will be TO-4 SAE50.

  3. #3jwest758012014-05-22 07:50

    Thanks for the replies to-4 ok thanks next question under the bevel gears there are three plugs what are they for?? Also the left track normally only stops under heavy pressure. Maybe I am being to hard on it. I do the same thing I just high idle until it cools off. I changers the tranny fluid about a hundred hours ago and there was very few flakes of metal maybe four or five small pieces. Thanks again f

  4. #4AllDodge2014-05-22 12:08

    My D3B manual shows SAE30 for the bevel gears. I would say if your left track just rolling along with the other and requires a lt of pressure to stop for a turn then you need brake work. Do you have it adjusted correctly?

  5. #5jwest758012014-05-22 14:13

    I adjusted them awhile back please remind me how to adjust them please

  6. #6AllDodge2014-05-22 17:20

    Keep in mind this is from my B model manual, probably the same. Says drive dozer forward for at least 2 lengths of the chain and let coast to a stop, do not use brakes. Pump grease in fitting until chain is tight and measure back from the back side of the front idler 3/8 of an inch. Open the relief valve and allow the track to move back to the 3/8 mark. Also note, it says if you have less then 3.4 of an inch (.75) from the front of the idler to the end of the rail, do not tighten, track needs to be replaced.

  7. #7jwest758012014-05-22 17:45

    All dodge thanks Ive got adjusting the tracks down but I thought we were talking about adj steering clutches lol.

  8. #8AllDodge2014-05-22 17:53

    Your right, sorry about that. The steering is a bit more complicated but I'll look it tomorrow and post. Stormy weather here right now

  9. #9AllDodge2014-05-23 09:09

    Below is what the manual shows. On another page it indicates pedal shall have 4 to 5 inches of free play before brake engagement. Rod A adjust to 38.4 inch Rod 3 16.85 Rod 5 to 13.11 +/- .06

  10. #10AllDodge2014-05-23 09:16

    Posted to quick, here is the steering clutch

  11. #11jwest758012014-05-30 23:34

    Thanks for the replys. I still am needing to know why my track will stop turning under load. And about my coolant temps.

  12. #12AllDodge2014-05-31 08:56

    So far as the temp if you have a CAT thermostat then I don't get the over temp. I picked up a non-CAT thermostat and my engine ran hot, so for now until fall comes I'm running without one. The fan shroud is needed to help push the air though the radiator, the guard is not needed but is better to be there for safety. The fan is pushing air out the front and not sucking it in correct? So far as the left track stopping, I would think this is either a heat related problem, adjustment or the clutch is wearing out. No expert here just my thoughts

  13. #13jwest758012015-03-23 14:57

    Well guys just a update haven't worked it yet but have torn it down and have install a fan shroud and wow it is defiantly pushing more air also had to replace two injectors. Now I have to replace the seals on the output shaft on the lower of tranny and the input shaft on the bevel seal the tranny is leaking pretty good so going to do both while i am there. So I hope she will be ready for work once everything I have done. Thanks for all of halls help. I value this site very much I have learned so much from it. Installed shroud Tested injectors replace two Oil sensor Right Steering valve rebuilt And some other stuff

  14. #14jwest758012015-04-09 13:04

    After running all not stopping for lunch in 85 degrees weather I am pretty happy. A fan shroud is a must!!!

  15. #15AllDodge2015-04-09 13:26

    Sounds good and thanks for coming back with results

  16. #16Bob/Ont2015-04-09 14:26

    The track stopping under load, sounds like a slipping steering clutch. How does the machine steer with light load on a hard smooth surface? It should steer with a light toe pressure on the pedal. Later Bob