I just bought a 1994 cat d3c xl series iii and it won't move at all until it is warmed up for a while. Just acts like the torque converter is slipping until it's warm. All 3 forward and reverse gears work then but seems to slip more in higher gears. I'm new to a torque converter drive system. Is this normal? All fluids are full and clean.
Your problem is most likely the Screened Orifice inside the trans hyd control valve. It has the selector spools(speed and directional spool plus speed spool) and the pressure control spools(modulating relief for max pressure, pressure differential spool for reducing dir clutch pressure, ratio valve to control max convertor pressure and the load piston for modulating the max pressure) the screened orifice controls the oil flow getting behind the load piston and thus controls modulation. It is my belief that the orifice is not letting cold oil through due to being clogged up or damaged. It is plastic and they are made in different colours to identify the sizes. That said you should change and cut open the filter, any major failure will fill the filter with metal. If the filter is clean get some seals and a new orifice for it. Clean the top off good first and then work carefully as to not drop anything into the trans. Later Bob
That sounds exactly like what I'm picturing in my head. Very logical. Has to warm up for fluid to thin enough to pass through better. I just ordered a service manual so I'll have to wait to figure out where the screen is that you are talking about. I want to tear into it now but I don't know where it is or how to get to it. Lol. What you are saying is totally logical and about the only thing that makes sense to me. My serial number is 6SL00723.
The machine only has 2700 hrs and the guy was the original owner. Said he had Cat replace the steering clutches and change all filters at 2000 hours.
Take the inspection plate off on the belly pan below the trans when you get that plate off you see last round cover on bottom of trans take it off the screen is right there pretty easy job.
Great information. Thanks you guys. I really appreciate it. Wouldn't happen to have a part numbers for the seals/screen that I need to replace would you?
You can reuse the o-ring or rtv silicone it the screen is reusable
thanks again! I appreciate the info.
One more question. Any idea how much fluid to ecectvtobcomevoutvso I van be repaired to catch it all??
4.5 gals I think may be on the high side
I drained it and took it apart. Oil looked like new. Screen was perfectly clean and the magnet had barely a trace of anything on it. Stuck my finger up in there and no sludge or anything. Put it all back together and just decided to run it today for the first real time. Ran absolutely great. Maybe I'm just not use to using the torque converter setup. I ran it straight for about 4 hrs. Worked great and pushed great in all gears. Not do great in 3rd but pretty good in second and of course no problem in first.
If the torque converter had been going bad or something else surely I would see evidence in the screen and magnet right? I'm just thinking its normal and I just have to get use to it. Love how it operates. Very tight and smooth. I hope all is fine and I just have to get use to it. Has tons of power compared to my old John Deere 450b.
Thanks again for all of the advice.
Your machine is good, first gear is for hard work, second for drifting loose material and third for traveling. Later Bob
What bob said!! What oil did you put in the tranny?
The service man at the cat dealership told me to use I believe it was called Shield professional grade transmission/hydraulic oil in the green can from advance auto.