Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

D3C will not shut off

razerface · 2024-08-18 14:21

My dc3 will not shut off with the key. I replaced the ignition switch last week, but no improvement. When i check voltage at the fuel solenoid i get 15.x volts running, and 12.x volts when i shut off the key. I thought there would be zero voltage at one of those key positions?. Here are pics of timer and solenoid. I cannot find that timer p/n on internet. I am taking wires out of the connectors to clean them. Ser# X6SL00731X

Replies7
  1. #1Nige2024-08-18 14:55

    Your voltage numbers appear to point to the timer. If you go through a complete start-stop cycle (key on, start engine, run engine, key off) the only time the 327 Pink wire should energize is when you turn the key to the OFF position with the engine running. The timer will keep the wire energized for (I think) 10 seconds and then de-power it. The rest of the time there should be no voltage in that wire. Do you get voltage on the 327 Pink wire at the shutoff solenoid if you turn the key to the ON position without starting the engine.? If you supply Batt+ to the connection on the shutdown solenoid it ought to move. The timer Part Number is 107-1004.

  2. #2razerface2024-08-18 15:40

    i cleaned all connections and reinstalled the timer. I also saw i put the decimal point in the wrong place on my above post,, which i cannot correct in that post. Now i get .12 volt running and “open circuit” when turning key off. I will get a jumper for the 12v test suggested by Nige. Finding the p/n is now updated to 154-3630?

  3. #3Nige2024-08-18 16:03

    It appears so. I can't find any documentation related to the Part Number change though. TBH I would do the jumper test first. If you energize that connection and the solenoid works then it would appear the timer is the culprit.

  4. #4thepumpguysc2024-08-18 16:40

    If all that checks out, isn’t it usually the alternator.?? Easy test is to unplug it.??

  5. #5razerface2024-08-18 18:03

    The jumper wire activates the solenoid and shuts it down. It seems the easy/cheap way to fix is come out of that timer connector to a momentary push button on the dash to shut it down rather then $400-500 of updated parts. The new timer would also require a new style connector for $40 to be wired in. I did see a 12v timer for under $50 on amazon that could probably be wired in to work but not sure it looks tough enough to take the vibration. Thanks for the help Nige.

  6. #6chidog2024-08-18 23:25

    Amazes me how bad things are designed now. If they use a solenoid it should work just like the old cummins Pt ones did.

  7. #7Welder Dave2024-08-19 18:16

    It's so much easier when you can shut the fuel off with the throttle lever.