Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

D4 and D6 9u dilemma–maybe

CavinJim ยท 2018-08-27 01:22

Interesting situation coming up for me and I'd appreciate any and all input. My neighbor is having an auction coming up and he's seedlings a Cat D4 with an 8 ft blade and a D6 9u with a 10 ft blade (hydraulic) and winch. I'm hoping to get more details before auction time, but that's unlikely shone he's an absentee landowner (more or less). I'll try to post the auction photos, but they aren't much. My main advantage is that I'd have no transport costs. As long as one would roll I can tow it across the fields.... I know most of the general things to look for like undercarriage wear and it looks like the d4 has an open stack so that engine might be toast. I'm more interested in how the d6 would compare to my 955k 85j01360. Yeah, I know that's comparing sour green apples to red delicious.... it'll all boil down how the bids go. I doubt either machine will start without a significant amount of work -- but I have a few projects where a dozer would be much handier than the loader. Any suggestions? Turn and run? I don't think I'd go over scrap price if I can't verify that the engines are free.

Replies7
  1. #1Jordan S2018-08-27 14:19

    Is that a 5 roller D4? Does it have a winch? Even if it's main is toast that has some really nice parts - Cat blade and hydraulics, seat tank, big idlers, probably electric pony start? I'm going to take a wild guess and say it's a mid to late 50's 7U but the serial would confirm. I'm not sure on your comparison question but does the 6 include the blade? Jordan

  2. #2CavinJim2018-08-27 20:00

    Thanks, Jordan, for replying. And welcome to the forum! Yes, the d6 comes with the blade. And as far as I know, no winch on the d4. A more specific question: is there any problems with towing either of them if they'll roll (that is, nothing totally froze up)?

  3. #3catman132018-08-28 00:24

    you can tow both of them and no harm. I have towed cats before and I found that towing them backward is the easiest just hook short (5 feet ) draw bar to draw bar and it will fallow you just fine, it will wander back and forth some but the short hook keeps it in line.

  4. #4motoOzarks2018-09-02 14:55

    howdy neighbor when is the auction?

  5. #5motoOzarks2018-09-13 22:20

    How'd the bidding go?

  6. #6CavinJim2018-09-14 09:03

    Auction was supposed to be tomorrow but has been postponed, probably till spring. I did get a chance to see the two machines and was surprised to learn that the d4 runs fine and the d6 should as well but he couldn't get it started. Pony motor runs but he couldn't get the diesel to hit. I suspect it's not getting fuel.... Interesting tidbit, the d4 was purchased by the owners father in 1954 from one of the Fabicks (owners of Fabick Cat) who had a farm about 7 miles from here. The d4 was walked cross - country and has been on the place here ever since.

  7. #7Joel592018-09-14 13:18

    I could buy you out of the winch on the back of the 6 if you're not needing it.