Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

D4 H Oil leak around injector pump

THearn ยท 2011-03-22 23:59

My D4 H with a 3204 engine has developed an oil leak. I think the oil is coming from around the fuel injector pump. I have not been able to determine if the oil is leaking from the pump itself or whether it is coming around the pump where it bolts to the engine. I an in-experienced owner, any input / suggestions would be most appreciated as to how I should proceed, remove injector pump etc. and when/if I do what should I see is there a gasket between the injector pump and the engine? or is there an "O" ring or seal. Has anyone else expereinced this issue?

Replies8
  1. #1d9gdon2011-03-23 01:15

    Go to the auto parts store and get some engine degreaser and some brake cleaner and get that pump clean first. Then you'll be able to tell where the leak is coming from. Gotta narrow it down some. Make sure it's cooled down before you start cleaning it, besides being a fire hazard with the cleaners I suggested it's not good to squirt water on the injector pump when it's hot cause the sudden temperature change can cause some moving parts to lock up inside. What's the serial number of the machine and I can look it up in the Cat parts book online?

  2. #2THearn2011-03-23 15:04

    Hi d9gdon I have already used degreaser to clean the injector pump but with the congestion of hoses and other stuff surrounding the injector pump I am unable to see exactly where it is coming from, I think it is coming leaking where the pump bolts to the engine. The serial # is 9DB04986

  3. #3PAcattech2011-03-24 01:38

    Thearn , there is two orings on the front of the pump where it mounts to the engine But I very seldom have had any of them leak there. unless they are comming loose the pump is held on with three 3/8 nuts make sure there tight the back nut is a bit though to get to. use a long extension and a 9/16 swivel socket on that one. I dont think youll find them loose it doesnt happen often. the majority offuel injections on these with oil leaks ive fixed turns out to be the gaskets between the govenor housings,

  4. #4THearn2011-03-24 13:08

    Thanks PAcattech I will insure the nuts are tight and inspect those gaskets you referenced. Again thanks for your insgiht.

  5. #5overworked2011-03-24 15:32

    You should have a 3304 engine. I agree with PAcattech most leaks I see are at gov. Housing or at pumpoil manifold at bottom of pump. But I have had ones with high hours and the seals do get hard and crack. If u dare to take pump off u need to time it and engine.

  6. #6tj_farmer2011-03-26 09:14

    only the series 3 d4h's have the 3304

  7. #7crowfarm2011-03-26 10:56

    Hello folks I'am new to this forum and have to reply to three threads before I can post one . Anyone have any sugestions on changing tracks on my series three d4 h thanks

  8. #8THearn2011-03-29 00:24

    It is the Series 2 with the 3204 engine