Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

D4 Series D PRoblem.

YoungOne ยท 2007-11-16 18:24

The old D4D LGP 7097 hours. Did fine today, we cut, we filled. we stripped. But towards the end of the day she starting putting. Literally. Everything slowed down, i had just filled her up with fuel so i know that's not a problem. Sometimes i would stop completely put it in gear let off the deaccelorator. I get no response, wait a few seconds. The machine starts moving. Starts going fine. I back up... Switch into forward to get a blade of dirt, it starts putting on me again. Sometimes barely moving. Any ideas? My first thought was transmission. Then again i have no mechanical background.

Replies11
  1. #1alan627b2007-11-16 18:53

    If I understand the post correctly, it's losing power. The easiest thing to do, is replace the fuel filters. A prime suspect if everything was fine until recently. If it simply won't move, another expert is needed! Caterpillar forums ACME http://www.antiquecaterpillar.org/ ACMOC http://www.acmoc.org/ACMOC_BB/ IBdozing http://ibdozing.com/message.htm Hope this helps, alan627b

  2. #2Rusted2007-11-16 19:04

    A little more information would help..what is your fuel pressure gauge reading when this is going on?. If it started suddenly not long after refuelling you may have a batch of dirty fuel.

  3. #3YoungOne2007-11-16 22:38

    Thanks guys. The gauges read fine. Not sure when the fuel filters were changed last on this dozer. ( i operate something different every day ) And it did start happening right after refueling. -Michael-

  4. #4wrenchbender2007-11-16 22:47

    If it's as dry in Virginia as it is in South Carolina I would start by looking at the air filter.

  5. #5T.I2007-11-17 01:47

    Komatsu D65E-7 torque Overheating Hi, I am new to this so here goes.Dozer is older model but is in great condition .It is in Belize,Central America. My D65E-7 dozer torque converter keeps overheating after a couple hours work. It just goes into the red. Gauges are good.There is no loss of power or shifting. We have serviced trans, torque,brakes,there is no sign of wear in trans or torque.What would be ideal oil pressure. Engine works great.Would like specs on torque if available.Open to suggestions. Thanks T.I

  6. #6Countryboy2007-11-17 02:11

    Welcome to Heavy Equipment Forums T.I! :drinkup

  7. #7CascadeScaper2007-11-17 04:03

    Air filter or fuel issue for sure. Check filters for both first. If the problem persists, check fuel pressure.

  8. #8jughead2007-11-17 07:14

    d4 i had that same problem with my d75s last week. found the line coming out of the tank was plugged with junk. not the screen the line. got it home will work on it later.

  9. #9Wulf2007-11-17 10:50

    T.I. assuming that you are working in the right gear and are using the right oil it sounds like either the transmission cooler is blocked or there is high leak-off in the T/C housing. There should be a regulated leak off which I think is picked up by a scavenge pump back to the transmission but a major leak (maybe a cracked case or broken seal) will eventually fill the housing up and overheat the transmission and converter. A blocked scavenge pump strainer will have the same effect. If you have a dealer in Belize they can probably test the pressures and leak off.

  10. #10T.I2007-11-18 03:03

    Wulf, Thanks for info. Trans does not overheat, only line coming out to cooler. I have installed a cooler which seems to help, but still goes to red, will check on scavenger pump. Thanks T.I

  11. #11YoungOne2007-11-19 18:21

    Changed all the filters. Working like a CAT should now -Michael-