Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

D41a-3 Komatsu dozer

Jerry Christman ยท 2020-05-23 21:20

I'm having steering issues. Anyone know what it could be?

Replies12
  1. #1Don Shilling2020-05-23 22:46

    Steering issues generally begin with the steering clutches and brakes. More details are needed.

  2. #2Jerry Christman2020-05-24 14:20

    Thank you for answering! I jacked it up and one track spends faster than the other. Everything worked but didn't have a left brake

  3. #3Don Shilling2020-05-24 15:58

    No brake justifies opening up that steering clutch and smart money would service the other clutch and brake at the same time. One side moving faster than the other indicates a dragging brake on the slow side.

  4. #4Jerry Christman2020-05-24 20:26

    Thank you! My next step is to remove cover to see what is happening inside. Will let you know what I find out

  5. #5Jerry Christman2020-05-26 17:09

    What a job! This is what I'm down too. When I drained the fluid one of the bolts were stuck to the drain plug. Any ideas? I'm not sure what this part does that the bolts are missing from

  6. #6Nige2020-05-26 17:27

    Did you remove the two bolts that go in the circled holes above..? If you did not then you have another bolt (and two lockwashers) that are as yet unaccounted for.

  7. #7Don Shilling2020-05-26 17:51

    Are those brackets something to limit the travel of the throw out arm?

  8. #8Jerry Christman2020-05-26 18:08

    No this is what I found when I got the cover off

  9. #9Jerry Christman2020-05-26 18:10
  10. #10Don Shilling2020-05-26 21:59

    Not steering to one side would indicate a slipping clutch on the driving track. The problem could be worn clutch plates or something not allowing the clutch to engage completely.

  11. #11Jerry Christman2020-06-11 19:35

    It was the clutches now just waiting on the parts. Thanks for all the help

  12. #12Nige2020-06-12 14:06

    Did you re-install all four bolts (and the lock tabs) back in those two brackets in post #6..?