Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

D41E track keeps getting loose

oldwhiteman ยท 2021-03-14 15:12

Hi, we have a D41E dozer with about 5000 hours on it. We are adjusting per the manual. however one of the tracks keeps getting loose, requiring tightning about 4 times a day. as we dont see no grease coming back out the zerk I assume its a bad seal. Only other piece of equipment we have is a tractor with a boom pole. So my question is how big a job is it to remove this cylinder I assume that keeps tension on the tracks?

Replies5
  1. #1Tones2021-03-14 18:26

    I bet if you're right handed it'll be the left track that's giving you grief. My guess is the track has worn beyond its limit and has damaged the seal. The easiest way to deal with it is to split the track and the complete idler assembly will slide out. Without knowing the set-up the adjuster could be in the frame and easy enough to get to so the piston can be removed . The cylinder remains in the frame.

  2. #2oldwhiteman2021-03-15 18:43

    Thanks tones. We'll I delved into today. Turns out it was a split track so that was nice. Seal at the end of shift was bad along with the fiber seals or whatever they are called. Time to break out the parts book.

  3. #3Tones2021-03-15 18:56

    If you measure the seals you may find that they can be purchased from an independent supplier at less cost. Have you looked at why it's failed? That is important. BTW I wasn't joking about the dexterity thing. Until it was pointed out to me I was completely unaware of it and all the evidence was right there, just never saw it before.

  4. #4oldwhiteman2021-03-15 20:55

    Thanks Tones, and your right it was the left track. How did you know? The big rubber seal on the end of the piston was broken along with the fiber rings.

  5. #5Tones2021-03-15 22:22

    Most people are right handed and because of that they favour that side so the left side wears more. Now after it's repaired measure from the front of the track frame to the block the idler axel is in on each side. Without seeing any photos I think the left side track is beyond it's wear limit, hence the failed adjuster. If thats the case the current repair will only be good for a few hours and you should be looking a substantial repair.