B40029. Been working great. Started acting like it was low on fluid or the inching/clutch pedal was like barely depressed. Checked fluid it was a little low but not much. Added fluid. Took off fine. Ram few minutes then quit. I’d it’s dead cold it will operate maybe 5 minutes plenty power. Then it’ll start jerking like something is not hooking up. Then it will just quit moving. Won’t try to do anything. Filters not getting hot oil on stick not hot and I can see The drive shaft is still turning. Any ideas? I don’t have a service manual. Thanks
Tried it again. Started it up drove it for 5 minutes before it started acting up. When I steer left or right it starts acting up sooner. I can let it sit few minutes it’ll take right off but I’d I hit steering it’ll start jerking and then stop. If I just go strait it’ll quit movin as well just takes longer. Steering definitely enhances the issue. After it ran it 5 min. Still no heat on the dip sticks for trans and steer and the filers are not hot at all. Blade functions are all good to go.
Ok I drained trans fluid. It was old looking but didn’t have a burnt smell of wasn’t full of any debris. Then I pulled transmission strainer. Well I tried to pull it but the whole housing it sits in came out with it. The strainer was also full of metal. I’m sure the machine was running out of fluid it couldn’t get through the strainer. Anyway my question is could that mean that the pump has went bad or something went bad in the pump I’m not sure how the oil is routed into that strainer housing there’s like a cup at the end of that strainer housing where the fluid enters but it’s just weird that there was no shavings come out when I drained the fluid from the transmission it just was all up around that strainer and the transmission shifts fine has plenty of power all three gears work forward and reverse but it was just it would stop after about five minutes operation I think because it was running out of fluid I was just trying to figure out the next step.
Does your machine have hydrostatic steering or clutches and brakes? How many hours are on the machine? I'm constantly inspecting machines where the transmission and hydraulic oils have never been changed. Strainers always get passed over as well. I would say it is likely the transmission pump is going to have problems if its been starved for oil for any amount of time.
I think it has clutches and brakes
If it was the pump is it possible to change that out and maybe nothing got into the transmission? Was curious if it would be worth pulling off the pump and inspecting it and replace it if it’s chewed up inside.
Didn’t want to just throw parts at it but don’t want to just write it off either. Thanks
It is common for copious amounts of brake and clutch material to end up in the suction strainers. Have you pulled the transmission and steering filters and cut them open? A standard clutch and brake machine used a get type pump so they are pretty easy to remove and tear down for inspection.
No sir haven’t pulled any other filters. I’m gonna put this one of for a little bit I have another dozer I can finish this job with. Then I can get it back to the barn and deal with it in a better environment
Sounds like a pump suction leak.
Got a new strainer. Next few days May install it and new fluid and drive it to the house. It’s next to my property. It’s about a mile to walk it home. That would be great if the metal was from brake and clutch bands. Idk I’m never that lucky. If it was starving for fluid which I can’t imagine it wasn’t it should make it to the barn
John C seems to be correct. Vetech u right as well. It was running out of fluid due to the plugged strainer/magnet. That’s why it would go again after sitting a minute. Had time to refill lol. I changed the strainer/ magnet and the transmission spin on filter. Haven’t cut the trans Filter open yet but the fluid in it didn’t look bad. Anyway it took right off and I tracked it back to the camp which is about mile away. Performed as it should. JC suggested run it 50hrs and drain and check it again. Maybe things are going my way once Lol!!