Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

D4C c frame question about plate.

davejor · 2023-06-19 12:43

I have a D4C series 2 with broken plate on C-frame as shown in picture. I understand this plate limits the maximum angle of the blade and still does. It also appears to have another function as it's broken. What is that other function? Should I repair it? Will fabricate my own part as Cat wants $458 for this part.

Replies9
  1. #1Nige2023-06-19 13:06

    You’re talking about the 117-4635 Plate Assy #12 I assume.? TBH I can’t see that plate limiting the angle of the blade, especially when you look at the shape of a new one. I wonder if the wear/damage on it was caused by badly worn C-frame bearings at some point.? Is there a significant amount of play in the bearings now because something in the alignment doesn’t look right. It could be a trick if the photo I suppose. Fabricating a new one probably wouldn’t be hard but the dimensions would be the hardest thing to come by.

  2. #2davejor2023-06-19 14:44

    Nige, Thanks yes it's 12 in the above and yes the C-Frame bearings were clearly shot at one point. A repair had been made to both sides. In fact the pin may have fallen out on one side. That makes sense as to why it's broken. It gives me confidence I can leave it as is. The other side of the plate in the photo isn't as "broken" so could get good dimensions on the curve.

  3. #3davejor2023-06-19 14:47

    Also yes you have a good eye. The two plates holding the pin and bushing are not parallel. I'd need to bend the upper plate down to correct but don't see a need.

  4. #4Nige2023-06-19 15:04

    Maybe the whole thing was re-bored at one time without straightening the plates.? If that was the case then getting them parallel now would require the whole thing to be re-bored again.?

  5. #5davejor2023-06-19 15:10

    Just checked and it doesn't limit angle or tilt. Which begs the question. What's it's purpose. Here's a picture of an intact setup.

  6. #6Nige2023-06-19 16:07

    With that slot in it, is it designed as some sort of “stop” so that if the bearing or whatever collapsed it stops everything falling apart.?

  7. #7Tyler d4c2023-06-19 19:31

    That plate serves to keep the blade from going forward when your in a push the newer machines have a adjustable link on top of the c frame to the blade. I see no reason you can't make one based off what you have and a bit of study off a few pictures. I have repaired them before but it only had one side cracked iirc.

  8. #8Tyler d4c2023-06-19 19:33

    See the link in the center is what replaced the slotted plate

  9. #9davejor2023-06-19 19:55

    Thanks that makes sense. Especially since this dozers past life was a logging cat including brush rake. I can see the brush rake adding more leverage on that link. It's fairly simple to fix so I will.