Experiencing frequent clogging of screen located at base of injector pump which appears to be a return line, any input to this could be helpful
You could start by giving the machine Serial Number, there are close to a dozen different iterations of D4C. A photo of the screen in question would also be helpful. Help US to help YOU. However on the off-chance that it is #9 on the illustration below, you can see it is on the fuel feed line from the tank not the return. Question: Are you draining accumulated water and sediment from the tank at the intervals recommended in the Operation & Maintenance Manual..? I take it that you do have that manual..?
It SOUNDS like it would be on the supply line to the injection pump. You need to trace the fuel line from the tank to the injection pump and back so you know the system for future reference. Like Nige said, there's more than one way a D4 was put together, and once Jethro gets his hands on it, all factory guarantees are off. Typically there is a water separator after the fuel tank, then goes to your screen and into a transfer pump, then to the fuel filter, then to the injection pump, then injectors, then back to tank with a return line off the injector pump. The water separator may have had the screen removed, or may have been bypassed altogether. I'd replace it, even if it's just a PH8A (or equivalent if you don't drive a ford) oil filter cobbled in where it was supposed to be.
Draining condensation from fuel tank is one of the most important and most overlooked maintenance points on any equipment. Not only is the water bad for the fuel system but the rust caused by the water is deadly to the finely machined parts! I agree with Delmer, if you have water or other crap in the fuel tank/system adding an inline filter of some kind would be a good idea. Also draining and cleaning the fuel tank would be advised.
It appears as though the system is designed with an in-line filter/water separator Ken. It's #6 on the illustration. Without a S/N it's hard to figure out what the Part Number should be or where on the machine it's located.
ser#1RJ00501 adapter on lift pump to main filter i want to remove the screen
This is just anecdotal but of all those machines I've had to inspections on if they had a screen in the banjo bolt they did not usually have a water separator. That banjo bolt was always on the suction side of the hand priming pump. There is a shut off valve on the bottom of the fuel tank next to the sump drain in the tank. Be sure to shut the fuel off at the tank before removing that banjo bolt. Gravity works on fuel just as well as it works on you and me. The early D4C machines I've looked at had the old canister unit like on the bigger machines and carried the 100 mesh Atlantic strainers inside. They worked as well and anything that I've seen since.
Don't remove the screen. it will plug up the valves on the transfer pump,or worse. If there's no water separator, you need to clean the tank. The manual usually says to drain water daily, I'll let it go to other day when the machine sits unused for a long time right Ken?
OK, so here's what we're talking about. The screen is 2W-7671, #22 on the illustration. As Delmer rightly says, pull that screen and you'll only have (expensive) problems further down the line as in the fuel injection pump - pumpguysc would be licking his lips. That screen's there for a reason, the correct solution would be to find out where the material is coming from (tank?) and take appropriate action to fix that, not pull the screen out. That's akin to treating the symptoms, not the disease. Back to my original questions: Do you have an O&M Manual..? Do you drain water/sediment from the tank frequently..?
Just hope it's not the dreaded black algae!!!!
I'm getting black algea I believe in my 2k gallon onsite tank .What can I do to fix it
Put a filter set-up on the outlet & put a Biocide in the tank.. The biocide will kill the bacteria & come out w/ the fuel.. THATS WHY its important to have the filter setup on the outlet of the tank.. & change it weekly or monthly until the problem is gone..
I have a filter on the outlet. That's how I realized I had the black algae. After getting 2k gallons of fuel delivered it would take 3 filters to put 400 gallons in the machines. Just started it here recently. I guess when fuel is delivered it was stirring it up.
On a POSITIVE note.. at least u found it & hopefully it'll flush out w/ a good biocide..
Be sure to get rid of any water in the fuel, that's where the algae gets started.