Is it possible to reassemble brakes on a D4D just using the three small access holes? I broke the rear band section, so I managed to undo the bank just using the access holes, and remove the broken band... I have the replacement here and can get it in OK, but I cannot seem to rotate it around to bolt it together again.. So is it possible in some way or does that huge cover have to come off which turns it into a pretty major job for something as simple as fixing a brake... Yes the manual says remove the cover..
Yes, I believe it has to be done that way. We replaced linings on ours & if I remember correctly we removed the batteries & battery boxes & pulled the top covers off. I think the shoes slid around under & towards the back to remove & the opp way to reinstall. We went in the back holes to guide the assembly around & may have taken the 2 part band assembly apart by working through the lower plate openings. Must remember to loosen the bottom support stud on the bottom of the band assembly, otherwise it will not slide around freely.
yes is just the 2 top covers and 2 rear covers to come off, plus the support screw underneath. I usually pulled fuel tank off too makes it much easier. Helps if you drain tank first. Wet back end D4 now that's a different story
well I am trying.... Still am having trouble to see how it is possible as I cannot rotate the band around any further because the big spring is in the way...
Back off the booster spring adjustment to where it will clear the brake band.
Thanks, I was hesistant to back that spring off as it is a strong spring and I thought if I started backing it off it might fly off in some direction and be near impossible to put back on without tool #472845839. But I backed it off and it came loose... Removed it and the band slipped around beautifully.. Thought I might remove the lower band then to clean it up... the photo tells the success of that... stupid idiotic designers...
Do you need the specs for resetting the booster spring length?
No I have the manual here that says all that...
All back together... Thanks everyone..