Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

D4D Cat transmission upgrades?

Un4gvn · 2023-01-01 19:18

I'm want to boost the power in my dozer but I'm not going to unless I can upgrade parts to handle it. It is a powershift I wouldn't worry much if it was direct drive. Is there any other models that I can use parts from to beef up my transmission? Also I've been doing a little searching and see that the 3304 engine was used for a long time! I seen one that was direct injection, turbo and aftercooler. Is there anyway possible I could put one of those engines in place of my old 3304?

Replies47
  1. #1Tyler d4c2023-01-01 20:14

    The transmission is not the bit of concern the finals are the problem way I look at it. Why do you think more power is needed.

  2. #2Un4gvn2023-01-01 21:00

    When is more power not needed?? I think it's going to have enough power as is. Really I just want a turbo and a chrome stack lol! I just like upgrading stuff, I've kinda got plans on a full resto or resto mod I guess just to make it my own with some crazy touches.

  3. #3Un4gvn2023-01-01 21:00

    Why do you think the finals would be the problem?

  4. #4Coaldust2023-01-01 21:33

    That’s where the torque multiplication is and where the shock & awe occurs.

  5. #5.RC.2023-01-02 01:42

    When you are the one paying the repair bills.

  6. #6Un4gvn2023-01-02 11:46

    I'll be paying for repairs and doing them my self. I will have a parts dozer. I may just slap a turbo on it and give it just enough fuel to spool and leave it at that.

  7. #7Nige2023-01-02 11:57

    IMHO if you think more power is needed than what you have now you really should be looking for a larger machine........ YMMV

  8. #8Puffie402023-01-04 12:22

    In my opinion a direct drive is actually a downgrade for a utility bulldozer, because it means a lot more movement from the operator to change direction. Your D4D is a fairly small cat, so you need all the mobility you can get to do stuff like snowplowing and land clearing. You see direct drive transmissions in agricultural cats because they don't need to reverse direction frequently, and so are moving at a constant speed for long periods of time. They are, in a way, a little more fuel efficient than a powershift in that kind of job.

  9. #9Welder Dave2023-01-04 16:55

    Turbo engines usually have different pistons, injection pump differences and other component differences. I'd get your current engine up to snuff and leave it at that. You're asking for trouble with more HP especially on an older machine.

  10. #10Un4gvn2023-01-04 19:11

    Yall are no fun. It there not anyone here that likes to modify stuff? Is this forum just for people who want to restore equipment? I'm gathering parts to assembly this dozer the way I would've wanted it new with a couple extra things for fun. The engine I have is a low hour good engine. I enjoy modifying things. I think a puff of black smoke and turbo whistle would make it more fun!

  11. #11Nige2023-01-04 19:17

    Why, because we’re not telling you what you want to hear.? You want more power get a bigger tractor. My 2c, YMMV.

  12. #12Welder Dave2023-01-04 19:35

    If it's a dozer you want it to work when you need it and the next time after that. It's not like a resto mod car that gets driven occasionally or put in a car show. Curious how old you are?

  13. #13Tyler d4c2023-01-04 19:44

    We're alot of fun the little skid loader in my profile picture has a turboed kubota in it. We're all looking out for the practicality of your machine if you want to hop it up for a tinker Toy I'm sure we'd all chime in. But appone reading your post were all thinking dozer that is working everyday to make money not smiles.

  14. #14Un4gvn2023-01-04 20:05

    It's got to bring smiles first. If you can't enjoy what you're doing you have the wrong job. I'm 40 years old. Why does that matter? Nige you seem like a grouchy old basstard! If you don't like what I'm doing **** off with your negative comments!

  15. #15Tyler d4c2023-01-04 20:17

    Wow........

  16. #16Un4gvn2023-01-04 20:22

    Yeah I see this is not the place for me. All I've gotten is negative comments about my stuff since I started posting here. Think I'll just find a place that is more friendly and won't shame me about my stuff!

  17. #17D6 Merv2023-01-04 21:45

    Ignorant little r sole aren,t you. People including me and lots of others who have actually been there done that; and owned and paid for our 'experience' to try and help you have clearly wasted our time attempting to educate you. You can learn the hard and expensive way of life with bulldozers.

  18. #18Un4gvn2023-01-04 21:51

    Yall are just a bunch of miserable old d I C k e a t e r s trying to ruin everyone else's day with you whiney old negative comments. Yall act like I'm committing a sin by wanting to upgrade my ****! I'm grown and if I want to upgrade my machine I will. I don't even understand you idiots. Something definitely wrong with you people!

  19. #19Un4gvn2023-01-04 21:54

    I've tried to contact the moderators to delete this thread so you ******* idiots can calm down and pull your mothers panties out of you mouth

  20. #20Nige2023-01-04 21:56
  21. #21Welder Dave2023-01-04 21:59

    Hope the door does hit you in the ass on the way out! BYE

  22. #22Gary Layton2023-01-04 22:06

    Wow...what a meltdown! Good luck out there, Un4.

  23. #23.RC.2023-01-04 22:20

    Good old nitro glycerine,, unstable and goes off quickly with a bang.

  24. #24OzDozer2023-01-04 22:25

    40 yrs old, and he still throws tantrums?? Oh dear .....

  25. #25Welder Dave2023-01-04 22:26

    40 with the punk attitude of a self entitled teenager. Will probably set the record for most arrogant new member and the fastest to get the boot. Unbelievable!!!

  26. #26Truck Shop2023-01-05 04:01

    Hope he comes back-that was Entertainment Tonight. He's first chair in the jug band.

  27. #27Un4gvn2023-01-05 13:07

    Man I hate this world of social media and punks hiding behind a keyboard. Can't have a simple conversation without 10 know it alls putting their useless opinions in the way ruining your way to useful knowledge. And I guarantee none of you bitches would have the balls to say any of this to my face!

  28. #28Tyler d4c2023-01-05 13:25

    Don't have the balls to tell you to your face that it maybe a bad Idea to add a turbo on to a dozer due to it possibly causing bigger problems and simply asking why you wanted to do so. And here I thought I was a touch thin skinned pm me and we'll meet up and I'll gladly tell you the same thing.

  29. #29Puffie402023-01-05 14:22

    Where did we act like it's a sin? All we said was we don't think it's worth doing the mods. Parts for construction equipment, especially your D4D, are going to be scare and expensive to replace. There is a certain balance between power and reliability, and if the application needs more power, it is ultimately cheaper to get a bigger tractor than to try and force more power out of the smaller one.

  30. #30Welder Dave2023-01-05 14:43

    You haven't fixed some serious issues with your dozer yet you're wanting to hot rod it. That in itself makes no sense. Nige was right. You had a hissy fit because people didn't tell you what you wanted to here. Now you're you're acting like some kind of tough guy. Everyone would tell you the same thing in person, grow up! The only one acting like a punk is you.

  31. #31kcdurtworks2023-01-05 14:53

    Put some bigger injectors in it. Advance the timing put a turbo on it. Have your cat dealer come out and put a better tune on the Ecm and it should help a little.

  32. #32Welder Dave2023-01-05 16:32

    It's about 50 years old.

  33. #33kcdurtworks2023-01-05 16:34

    Satire….

  34. #34Nige2023-01-05 16:35

    I wondered who'd bite first...........

  35. #35kcdurtworks2023-01-05 16:39

    I got me one Nige. I just thought that might be what ol boy wanted to hear…

  36. #36Welder Dave2023-01-05 16:43

    On this forum you never really know with so many members. I remember the self proclaimed engineer blaming people on the forum for his aux. hyd's. not working on the badly burnt up 299 he bought.

  37. #37.RC.2023-01-06 04:30

    I would put an 8V72 in it.

  38. #38OzDozer2023-01-06 05:14

    RC - Is an 8V72 the hot-rodded Queensland version of an 8V-71?

  39. #39.RC.2023-01-06 05:25

    LOL, yea everything is bigger in Queensland.

  40. #40R.D.G0132023-01-06 05:41

    Sounds like he has plenty of that stuff that grows on trees, so I would say go for it if thats what he wants to do, it will benefit a lot of others in the way of parts supply and repairs along the way in the form of $$$$$$ and jobs. Not what I would do, but hey its not me paying for it and not my machine so I won't loose any sleep over it.

  41. #41OzDozer2023-01-06 05:48

    Maybe Un4gvn is just a frustrated hotrodder, and maybe he thought this was a hotrod forum. Maybe what he really wanted, is something like this ...... I mean to say ... just look at that TURBO, and that STACK!! ....

  42. #42Mcrafty12023-01-06 05:52

    I think you nailed it, can you get that with power tilt blade and LGP grousers?

  43. #43Mcrafty12023-01-06 06:57

    I was thinking Silver 92, I had one back in 1980 in a Chevy Titan...man that thing would whistle, had a big stack too.

  44. #44D6 Merv2023-01-06 20:27

    OzDozer. Put up that pic of the Hot rodded D8 8R with the V8 D17000 engine, that those boys in queensland did; thats what he wants to see !

  45. #45OzDozer2023-01-07 00:50

    Merv - Ha ha! Yes, that would be right up Un4gvn's alley, wouldn't it! The pics of the D17000-powered Australian D8 8R are below - and note the STACKS on BOTH engines!! - but NO TURBO!! LOL https://www.flickr.com/photos/94854784@N06/48230437616/in/pool-caterpillarequipment/ https://www.flickr.com/photos/94854784@N06/48230451856/in/pool-caterpillarequipment/ Meantimes .... back in the good 'ol U.S. of A, another guy has repowered an old D7 , with a D17000 V8!!

  46. #46Welder Dave2023-01-07 18:17

    On the D7 he needs to loosen the tracks a bit and get his carrier rollers turning properly.

  47. #47Mcrafty12023-01-08 06:13

    No blade or Ripper though, everything behind the flywheel of that engine must be VERY happy about that.