Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

D4D Forward to Reverse

Sails22 ยท 2018-08-01 22:06

Hi, I have a D4D 65J, and it's hard to move from either forward to reverse a lot of the time, especially when going on any sort of an angle. Can someone assist me to what might be the cause and what I will need to do to rectify the problem please. Thanks

Replies6
  1. #1Nige2018-08-02 08:47

    First up a couple of questions: - 1. It's a Direct Drive machine, correct..? 2. Do you mean that the tractor takes a long time before the transmission re-engages when you want to change direction from Fwd->Rev or vice versa..?

  2. #2PEVO2018-08-02 10:16

    Please define what you mean by "hard to move" like Nige asks ..or physically hard to move levers??

  3. #3Sails222018-08-04 08:45

    When i'm pushing and stop to reverse the clutch lever is free to move either way and the dozer stops but the forward and reverse lever and the gear change lever become jammed so to speak, and I cannot move the forward and reverse lever or put it in neutral or another gear. I resort to moving the machine till the forward and reverse lever is free to move then I change directions. Just on that it is worse when the machine is inclined a bit when pushing up a pile. And yes it's a manual direct drive. I know there are some very knowledgeable people on here and any thing to help will be greatly appreciated. I read in the workshop manual that the shifter forks could be the culprit??

  4. #4Nige2018-08-04 10:31

    I would strongly suggest that you register on the ACMOC forum and post the same questions http://www.acmoc.org/bb/ Those guys are the experts on older Cat machinery such as your D4

  5. #5DPete2018-08-04 19:10

    There is a trans interlock in the trans cover that works on the clutch linkage, it locks the shifter forks in gear when the clutch is engaged preventing popping out of gear, it could be out of adjustment. Do you push the clutch lever all the way forward when trying to shift? This disengages the interlock. This is from a 78A service manual I would think yours is the same.

  6. #6RZucker2018-08-04 23:14

    Sounds to me like your main clutch may not be fully releasing and keeping a small amount of pressure on the gears. I don't know the D4D too well, But I have seen 2 D9D's that the clutches were run without oil for some time and warped the clutch plates making them drag. And too much idling with a disengaged clutch will seize the pilot bearing keeping pressure on the gears making it difficult to pull it out of forward or reverse. Does it grind when you shift out of neutral?