Hi I'm getting water in my oil on my 83j 3304 d4d any advice where to look for first? The dozer sat for 3 years before I bought it and started getting used again and now is got about a gallon of water in the oil
Check to see that the weep hole in the water pump is open if it gets clogged and your water pump starts to leak it will go into engine. Head gasket but not likely most likely either liner seals or pin hole in cylinder liner. only way to tell is to drop oil pan and look to see where it is coming from
Would oil cooler failure couse this too?
Oil pressure is higher than water pressure if it is the cooler you should have oil in the water [radiator]
Radiator antifreeze is clean I'll look at the water pump tomorrow hopefully it's that and not the liners. I'm not sure what to do if it's the liners though
Before you pull the pan look On the back of timing cover right under the hyd. pump is a cover held on with 2 bolts. Remove that cover and put 10# pressure on the radiator ,if the water pump is leaking you will see it . Good luck Bob
Thank you I'll try that for sure
If it is the liners you will have to pull the head pull the rods and pistons then pull the liners at that point you might as well in frame it especially if the liners have any pitting and the lower bore where the liner seals is known to erode away if it isnot bad you can clean it and JB weld it and sand it smooth if it is bad then you have to pull engine tear it down and have lower repairs machined in
Well it ain't the water pump.....
pull the pan time
what shape is the d4 in, if it is tired you may just sell it and up date. no sense in spending a lot of money rebuilding it from end to end
I have about 7000 in it dozer and parts right now. The uc is about 40%. I'm not sure if it worth it too do an inframe or not. The water that came out was dark red rust colored. I bought it from a rancher I used to work for never had any problems when he had it till the hydraulic pump went out then he parked it. I was the last one to use it
I really appreciate the replys . I wouldn't would have thought about the liners leaking .
I wonder if they pulled the hyd. pump and left the engine open? Does your motor even have a engine oil cooler? When you pressurized the radiator how fast did it leak off? I would drain the oil pan and pressurize the radiator to see if coolant runs out. Bob
Yes it was left open for about a week when the hydraulic pump was changed I tried to have it remanufactured but ended up getting one from cat. It didn't get rain in or anything I tried to cover it the best I could to kept dust out
It does have oil cooler but it now has a lot of blow by I noticed today also and getting worse the more I run it.
Is it blow by or steam coming out the breather. If you have water in the oil you’ll see steam when it heats up.
Its definitely steam
So your not losing anti freeze from your radiator? You have water in your pan? Have you changed oil? I going to bet your oil cooler is a transmission cooler. Do you have the means to pressure check your cooling system? Bob
take the rad cap off, start it up, and take a look. If your coolant is boiling you have blow-by, and that is usually a head gasket (it can sometimes mean a hole or crack in the head or cyilinder liner). If you keep your fingers crossed a new head gasket might fix it, but check both the block and head for flatness before reinstalling, otherwise the warped head will just cause the gasket to blow again.
Is that water or coolant in the oil? If plain water look for rain getting in. If you are seeing steam out the stack look for bad head gasket or seal on injector holder. If you run it at all with water/coolant in there the oil will turn to gray muck. When my 3304 had a bad liner the coolant literally ran into the pan until the level balanced out. We took 5 gallons out when we pulledthe pan to inspect. You could pour water in the rad and watch it run through the liner. Wasn't burning it because the leak was at the base below the piston top. Block had to go to the shop for 2 lower and 3 upper inserts. By the way if you choose to remove the pan in-frame you will need to jack the engine an inch or so out of the frame.
I do not have a pressure tester. I know it didn't hold any pressure when it was operating temp. The slime was a gray color first. Then I flushed the system with water and changed the water pump and oil then the slime turned to a clearer white color
It was two gallons low on water when the gray slime first appeared. The exhaust fumes is clear as can be with no smoke whatsoever even on cold start up
The water in the radiator moves up and down when it is running , no bubbles though
I simply need to get a pressure tester and drop the pan the next time I get.
As much water as you are losing you will probably see it with out pressure especially if you have antifreeze in it
Good luck with pulling the pan ,you will either have to pull the equalizer spring or pull the engine. Bob
You can pull the pan in place but it is a pain. The equalizer is in the way and you need to drop the pan enough to clear the oil pickup and pump. I remember being able free the mounts and jack the engine an inch to slip it off. Still not fun. Once i had the pan off you could see coolant running down the inside of the perforated liner. Getting rid of the grey slime is a pain. Even with steam cleaning all passages and hot tanking it I still found some during reassembly. If there is no white smoke then no head or precombustion leaks. You would really smell coolant steaming off with as much as you are losing.
When I say blow by I’m talking about air coming out the engine crankcase breather not bubbles in the rad.
definitely blow by.i took of the oil fill cap off and pushing air/steam out pretty good