I have a D4E 51x power shift and the finals have some water contamination. Fluid came out milky (it lives outdoors, unfortunately.). I want to flush them out before refilling but not sure what would be best for the job. In my 7U I use diesel fluid and that would be easiest and probably cheapest. Next option would be some cheaper hydraulic fluid from TractorSupply, run it for a little while then drain and refill with quality TO 50 oil. Would the diesel be okay to use? Thanks for any suggestions.
I'd use diesel if almost all of the fluid will run out, and hydraulic oil if it will hold more than a tiny bit of fluid, run it with the oil like you say. if you use diesel, let it settle and flush it a couple times with the same fluid.
Diesel is just fine for flushing final drives, Cat recommend it. Run the tractor backwards and forwards for a short distance in top gear with no load, then drain the finals promptly. I'd be more concerned about how the water got into the finals. Are the seals leaking, or are the breathers damaged? - or has the tractor been working in deep water?
Thank you Delmer and OzDozer for the prompt replies. I think I will try the diesel, at least that way once done I can burn the used diesel. Not sure how the water is entering, I never work it in standing water. It sits out all winter so I’m thinking the seals are to blame. I really need to get a roof over the machine. Thanks again guys.