Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

D4E hyster winch

joedozier ยท 2015-08-20 10:38

Can anyone please tell me how to operate the D4E hyster winch on the back of a D4 dozier?

Replies6
  1. #1crookedwrench2015-08-20 14:22

    You could contact Thomson Equipment in Portland Oregon 503-287-9000. They will get you info that you can download instruction manual. I have a D4F that operates similar to the D4E. [email protected] if you have more concerns or questions.

  2. #2Old Magnet2015-08-20 14:42

    Try here... http://www.alliedsystems.com/pdf/Winch/Manuals/599183W.pdf

  3. #3Nitelite2015-08-21 02:41

    I also have a problem with my D4-E that has a D4E winch. My problem is that the pto shaft coming into the winch is not turning. I am going to need to remove the winch to locate the problem. I am thinking that the spline shaft sleeve has stripped out inside or the lock pin came out. Any ideas?

  4. #4D6 Merv2015-08-21 22:17

    nitelite; yes to both your questions; or 'possibly' pto shaft is too short; there were 2 or 3 different pto input shafts on D4E winchs. Drain the oil from bevel gear case first before you pull the winch off; will get messy quick if you don,t

  5. #5Nitelite2015-08-22 00:09

    Thanks Merv, I have heard that I can run the tractor up onto two short pieces of cross tie until the tractor breaks over with the nose down and cut the engine. Sitting in that position is supposed to run the oil forward enough to prevent the oil from leaking when the winch is removed. What do you think? No trick to pull the winch but I have ROPS that really do a good job of blocking access to the Winch mounting bolts. I am thinking that if I make a crow foot wrench in just the right configuration it will get all but two bolts. The other two might take a hammer and a chisel to get them turning. For sure I will fix the Winch on the D4-E before I dig my way into the mud with the 951-C loader and dump truck to clean out the lake. It would not make good sense to put equipment in a mud hole with the dozer sitting there with a non working winch on the back of it.

  6. #6D6 Merv2015-08-22 00:56

    yes some books say to do it like that; but for my money its a lot easier to refit the winch with everything hanging flat and level ! Also when refitting get the studs and nuts good and tight. I forgot about the ROPS mounts that go over the rear studs; that could be the very reason why the pto shaft is short. The original D4C/D tractors that were fitted with the Hyster D4E winch never had rops mounts ! You may have to have a longer splined coupling machined up ! Do some careful measuring while its off !