Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

D4G Cat loses power when hot

D3DaveC ยท 2011-06-11 19:54

My neighbor has a Cat D4G that works great but after a couple hours work can barely pull itself. Engine works great, steers great, shifts very good but has this problem. I never worked on a G before and my neighbor knows nothing and doesn't even have a book. Where can I check the hystat oil? Is there a filter that can be changed? Is my neighbor in for a big fix? Thanks

Replies3
  1. #1willd8r2011-06-12 03:00

    I have spent time on a D3G/D5G oil is next to fuel tank right side oil filters in the right side door 2 filters 1 hystat oil 1 for hyd oil I used have a bit of trouble with the fuel line would partially block at the tap under the tank, remove back panel to access it,it would loose a few revs and would hardy drive I never had heating problems working in hot dusty conditions, may be it's been stuck at some stage and the radiator is block with mud You may have to get Cat to check pressures Etc normally the are problem free even at 12000 plus hours

  2. #2D3DaveC2011-06-12 10:06

    The engine is fine but I'm thinking it may be some valve that is dumping oil when it gets warmed up. The hydraulic oil I know but where to check hystat oil? Thanks

  3. #3PWR2011-06-12 12:53

    A little off of the subject. We have a D5G LGP. Having problems with track adjuster. Rails still good. No sign of bad internal wear. Front idler does move around some because of wear. About 5.25 inches left on end of roller frame past end of idler yoke. Replaced seals in track adjuster but still not holding track tight. Found grease is coming out release hole on flange where track relief valve is. Replaced the track relief and adjuster valve. Grease still coming out hole and track not staying tight. All we can come up with is the seat where the grease goes in and comes out during adjustment and relief of tension on tracks has a crack in it. To replace the unit you have to remove the recoil spring which looks like a job for Cat. Has anyone had any experience with this problem?