Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

D4H Fan Bearings

JSLBNY ยท 2016-04-06 08:12

I have to replace the fan bearings on an 89 D4H Series 3. I was able to get the fan blade and adapter off but the main bolt (#4 in the drawing) wont come out because the radiator is in the way. Is there any trick to getting this out or do I have to pull the radiator?

Replies4
  1. #1Nige2016-04-06 09:27

    Without a Serial # it's difficult to be exact, but is it possible to remove the complete fan drive from the front of the engine by taking out the bolts #2 (I assume there are 4 of them)...? You could replace the bearings and then reinstall the complete assembly the same way as it was removed.

  2. #2kshansen2016-04-06 10:40

    Agree with Nige, even if you could get the bolt out I'm doubting you would have room to slide the hub off the shaft. That whole assembly on a D4 should not be that heavy with fan off it. Might be a good idea to put a sheet of cardboard or thin plywood between the radiator and the fan drive just in case you slip.

  3. #3JSLBNY2016-04-06 19:42

    Got her all fixed up today, just took the whole assembly off the front of the engine and it wasn't too bad. Thanks for the replies

  4. #4pittedmess2016-04-07 14:07

    A+++ With protecting the radiator. This man has been around the block a few times.