Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

D4H transmission question

Jshort ยท 2017-04-26 22:00

Im embarrassed to ask but here goes, is there an oil fill plug on this transmission? (A bolt you remove and when oil runs out, its full). Before you ask, yes I'm checking the dipstick. I'm having a terrible time trying to read it. Tried every trick I know of. Lying dipstick on a paper towel to see how far the wet mark is has always worked for me but on this thing I just can't be sure. This is a new machine for me and here's my issue: everything is fine when I first start the machine but after a couple hours the transmission won't shift reliabiy. Pushes fine with plenty of power but when I change to reverse, I hear a slight click behind me but no reverse. After some back and forth it will finally go into gear but something is a-miss. My first basic thought "is transmission fluid low?" I'm embarrassed to admit that I can't even read a dipstick! Lol. I'm afraid of overfilling so I'm asking before I make a mess. Any thoughts/suggestions much appreciated

Replies7
  1. #1Mark2502017-04-27 08:10

    Put some oil dye in the oil. Cat sell it as well as other suppliers Mark

  2. #2918OkieCat2017-04-27 21:24

    You might check the shift linkage. I had a similar problem with my D4HII until I realized that the shift lever had to be as far to the left as possible for the transmission to shift into reverse.

  3. #3dennis sanders2017-05-17 00:34
  4. #4dennis sanders2017-05-17 00:36

    I have a d4h2 and as said the shift lever has to be to the extreme left.....

  5. #5Vetech632017-05-17 16:32

    I've painted the ends of dipsticks with flat black. Worked really good for me.

  6. #6roseberry2017-06-10 07:47

    Marks on the gearbox dipstick show the recommended upper and lower limits for the oil level. Pull out he dipstick and wipe it on a clean rag and Masterpapers review and other reviews showing the importance of this discussion.

  7. #7cat951b2025-11-19 03:29

    Hi Dennis, what did you achieve with the optimization of the transmission? Mine works like this too, maybe this is a stock problem?