I have a 1987 Cat D4H XL, serial number is 8PB01672, it has a 3204 engine and the serial number for it is 45V64337. The machine has been setting up for one year before I bought it. It cranked right up but throttle linkages were frozen up. Machine never seemed to open all the way up. Got it home and it started puffing out black smoke and would not idle up. I replaced all 4 injectors but no change. I'm getting fuel to injector pump and injectors. Any other suggestions?
Check air filter, intake pipe from the opening all the way to the turbo, take the air line off the turbo intake and gently try to spin the impeller, do not use tools if it's stiff. Good chance the turbo exhaust side is full of rust and locked up, or the air filters got wet or had a mouse/rat nest in the intake.
Agree with lantraxo, you're getting plenty of fuel, hence the black smoke. Sounds like an air issue. Had a similar issue with a 420 backhoe with same engine, operator didn't notice a plastic bag had sucked against air intake screen on hood side. He continued running machine until the air filter collapsed, destroyed secondary filter and somehow melted the honey comb portion of the filter housing. Machine soon after needed a turbo replacement.
I have remove all air filters and machine still smokes with no power. Turbine in turbo moves freely. While running, I loosened the fuel lines from injector pump to each injector. When I loosened the back two injectors, there was a noticeable change in engine, but the front two injectors when loosened made no difference in engine sound
That not good. Sounds like the fuel is burning in the exhaust rather than in the cylinders maybe. Might pull the valve cover and see if the valve clearances are within reason, other than that it sounds like the head might have to come off. If you have the capability a compression test, or pressurize the cylinders, see what the situation is.
It sounds like you may have blown the head gasket between two cylinders.
Another thing I forgot to mention is I'm getting fuel in the engine oil some how
Yep, I was afraid that was what someone would say. Oh well, I will pull the head off tomorrow and see. I will let you know what I find. Thanks
Ah. Well in that case you should probably remove the rocker cover and check the internal fuel lines for leakage.
Yep, double checking the fuel connections under the valve cover would be a very good idea before yanking the head. Could be fuel laying on top of the pistons and working it's way down past the rings too if you have no/low compression I suppose.
It was a blown head gasket. I'm going to take the head and have the surface cleaned. There is also a lot of soot on the intake side of the turbo and some oil on the exhaust side. Can a turbo be tested if I remove it from the engine?