Ours is not loud at all. Basically can’t hardly hear it with the machine runin. The one on our Kubota skid steer is way louder. Something is definitely wrong with the one on our dozer. It’s clean and free of debris that I can see. I’ve even blown it out with air. Same results. Didn’t know if there was some kind of adjustment through the monitor to increase the noise level or if it’s just a bad backup alarm. Also I’m assuming it’s 24 V but I don’t know that for sure I can always put another one on it if I know the voltage to just check it out I think I have an extra one. Just kind of strange I’ve never seen one that the noise level reduced in it everyone I’ve ever seen either worked or didn’t Thanks
I can't think of any reason why the volume of a backup alarm would need to be variable. The power for the BUA comes from the ECM. You need an electrical schematic.?
Yes that would help fosho. Yeah I know I’ve never heard of one being variable. Thanks Nige
This may not apply to your machine, but I remember that some back up alarms have two terminals where the hot wire goes. One terminal for a lower decibel and the other for higher decibel.
Now that u say that I have seen em with three terminals. But why were larger in size as well. I’ll look closer but I only remember 2 on this one
We have some variable volume backup alarms. Clap your hands near it. If it increases, it's a variable But, AFAIK, Caterpillar never installed variable volume backup alarms, so, most likely, your alarm is on it's last legs. I've change 4 on Cats in the last year. One had your symptoms, the other 3 were DOA.
The one on my service truck is called a smart alarm, it is 12 or 24 volt and adjusts to background noise. Clap your hands in front of it while it is beeping and it will get louder . I've seen those with 3 wirers and one with a volume switch. Bob
All good info. Thanks I’ll check it out
We’ll clapping didn’t do **** lol. Can’t see much of the data but I can see it’s 12/24 volt 2 wire. I mean without the machine running it’s fairly loud but it’s not near loud enough when the machine is runnin
OEM alarm is only 97db
That’s it thanks. I could barely see the part number thought it was 170-0990. One digit off!!
They die, I guess wear out or something. I change quite a few in our rental fleet due to exact same issues you are having. In fact I keep a new one in the bottom of my toolbox for both testing in place of old one and for connecting for troubleshooting in the same manner a lot of people use an old headlight for, just I can hear it on the other side of the machine instead of looking for the light.