I recently acquired a Cat D4K2 to do finish work and am wondering what oil I should use in the Transmission/Hydraulic System? Looking on the Cat parts site it really is not clear. TIA
Please post a Serial Number so that someone can look at the correct Operation Manual details. Is there a paper manual in the pocket in the back of the operator seat by any chance.? If not you really need to get a replacement. They are around $50 for a download. Again S/N is key to identifying the correct manual.
Serial: KMM00388
So according to the manual you have two oil options; a hydraulic oil or a powertrain oil meeting Cat TO-4 specification. For both options: - An SAE 10W viscosity oil covers an ambient temperature range from -4 to 104 DegF (-20 to +40 DegC) An SAE 30 viscosity oil covers an ambient temperature range from 32 to 122 DegF (0 to +50 DegC) If you are planning on buying your oil from the Cat dealer the products to ask for would be either HYDO Advanced 10 (or 30) for a hydraulic oil, and TDTO 10W or TDTO 30 for a powertrain oil. I think I would prefer the powertrain oil if it was my tractor. If you want an Operation & Maintenance Manual click this LINK , click "Continue as Guest" and search for SEBU8498. The image below should pop up.