Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

D51 pxi

Greasyfitting · 2023-06-15 15:31

Got a D51 pxi coding L01 Ca1942 crankcase sensor in range error. I've never heard of a in range error before. I've heard of out range any help would be appreciated. SO is B20467

Replies19
  1. #1coalrulz2023-06-15 17:50

    Komatsu started using in-range errors as far back as Tier 3 machines. Out of Range faults are the ECM receiving 4.75 volts back on the signal wire. Komatsu usually calls Short Low (short to ground) 4.75v. In-Range faults are described as not being Short Low or Short High but signal voltage back to the ECM is not what the ECM expects to see. In your example the Crankcase Pressure sensor monitors the condition of the KCCV (crankcase filter) may want to change it before further troubleshooting.

  2. #2ChuckRock2023-06-15 18:18

    I second coal's statement. Those KCCV filters have an interval of 2000 hours.

  3. #3Greasyfitting2023-06-15 19:39

    I just changed it today with the 2k hours service the codes still showing.

  4. #4ChuckRock2023-06-15 19:54

    Do you have the ability to do a data log? Was there residual oil in the kccv canister? There is a check valve in the drain line that is prone to sticking. The kccv pressure sensor should drain condensation naturally but that could be worth a check as well.

  5. #5Greasyfitting2023-06-15 20:04

    I don't have data log the dealer in my area does though. The filter wasn't really that dirty as I expected it to be.

  6. #6Greasyfitting2023-06-15 20:09

    There was some oil residue in the filter housing.

  7. #7ChuckRock2023-06-15 20:20

    The filter is a coalescing element that breaks down larger HC droplets found in the crankcase vapors - it really won’t get super nasty. You will see oil residue, oil collecting is an issue. Is the code causing a power derate at all? There is constant depression regulator built into the kccv as well that allows the vapors to enter the low pressure inlet at idle. I’ve seen these fail as well. A data log would be ideal for this situation. You are in Komatsu country down in GA after all

  8. #8Greasyfitting2023-06-15 20:22

    The machine is currently has 10 minutes before derate kicks in.

  9. #9Danfromcomo2024-11-07 19:47

    Did you ever get to the bottom of this? I have a similar problem with a D39PX-23 of having high crankcase pressure.

  10. #10Greasyfitting2024-11-07 19:50

    Yeah with that deal the Komatsu dealer told me they tried to clear it before it just comes back probably bad wiring but it runs perfectly fine. What caused that derate was a sensor on the dpf had broke while I was putting the hood back on it after I repaired the AC compressor.

  11. #11Greasyfitting2024-11-07 19:55

    I figure if that filter is new , and clean and stay on top of maintenance when it comes up to be changed you shouldn't have no problems it's just the computers acting dumb what I think.

  12. #12Danfromcomo2024-11-07 19:58

    Yeah, its all these stupid sensors, computers and fragile wires that make you want to pull your hair out!

  13. #13ChuckRock2024-11-07 19:59

    High crankcase pressure can be caused by many things - the sensor that throws this code is there to specifically monitor that KCCV. Most common issues with high crankcase pressure - Eroded KCCV drain check valve, Clogged KCCV filter. From there the causes get exceptionally more expensive. Whats your serial number? I'll check 'er out if your Komtrax is still working.

  14. #14Danfromcomo2024-11-08 10:28

    SN 0190388 On the My Komatsu page it keeps up with my hours and location so It may still be working. Thanks for looking into it. I have it in my shop now and a man checking all lines for cloggs.

  15. #15ChuckRock2024-11-08 10:42

    Morning Dan, I ran a report on the Dozer - there is quite a few occurrences of the CA555 for Crankcase Press High Error 1, 638 to be exact. One thing that sticks out is that these occurrences seem to occur with Key On Engine Off, or shortly after engine start, is that correct? These began quite early in the machine's life 15 hours or so. If you'd like the entire report let me know and I'll format it and send it to you.

  16. #16Greasyfitting2024-11-08 11:17

    One thing about Komatsu dozers I've noticed depending on how they are treated at higher hours there's usually one code always active

  17. #17Danfromcomo2024-11-08 11:29

    Yes, it appears to come on right after startup. When you first start it, i have very little blowby at the oil fill cap but 5 minutes after idling it is noticeable. Wow that is alot of occurrences. The engine has been replaced at some point as there is a Komatsu reman tag on it with a build date in 2019. Ever since i got it the CA 435 Engine Oil Pressure switch error has been on. I can live with the Level 1 but when it gets to the L03 and derates, then I cannot operate. So far all of the lines from the KCCV are clear with no obstructions. Do you think I should replace the Oil pressure switch and the crankcase pressure sensor? Are there any test that I can do here to pinpoint the cause of the problem? My email is [email protected] if you can send the report, that would be awesome. I sincerely appreciate the help, i really need to get this machine going.

  18. #18Danfromcomo2024-11-08 15:49

    Looks like the Turbo is going out. Got a replacement ordered and will install tomorrow and report back.

  19. #19Danfromcomo2024-11-13 11:23

    Good morning ChuckRock, We replaced the turbo and have the same results. I updated the other post named D39PX high crankcase pressure. Im about at my wits end with these machines, have any ideas on what to check next?