Hello All, I have a D5B 26X- that surges when idled real low. If I increase the speed a little it will smooth out. Can someone tell me what causes this? Is it just idling too low or is there an issue with governor? When I first got this tractor there was a rattling-jingle sound coming from the pump/governor when idling. After running for a while that noise seems to have gone away. It has surged at idle since I have had it . Also, I don't know if this is related or not but the exhaust smells rich and sort of burns the eyes. It is especially noticeable at idle. I have other cats that don't smell like this one. I know not very scientific but sometimes you know when something's not right. This has the 3306 with direct injection and sleeve metering pump. Starts good and doesn't lack for power. Any ideas are appreciated. Thank You.
Probably idling too slow? Not sure about Cat pumps, but I know inline Bosch pumps have a buffer screw to smooth them out. It's been a long time, but I believe it takes the slack out of linkage between governor and rack when at idle.
I was wondering about a buffer screw too. My other D5 doesn't do it when it is idled down but I haven't measured RPMs so don't know if they idle at same speed.