What's the difference between a D5G and a D5G XL on the undercarriage? Is the D5G 39 links and the XL 41 links or is there something different on the track frame?
Usually the XL means there is an extra roller.
I believe Cat only offered 2 versions of the G series, XL and LGP. http://www.kellytractor.com/eng/images/pdf/earthmoving/tracktype_tractors/d5g.pdf
Thanks both, didn't know that. New set of rails and segments to be put on the 60% remaining bottom over the weekend as measured by dealer. Too bad times are so tough to not change it all. I've never seen bushings worn so badly that the pins are completely exposed on some, without them breaking. Should be a nice ride after that.
I understand that. I have a triage list of repairs that in good times would have been fixed but now they are on a waiting list.
Hey D9gdon, do you happen to have a picture of the wear on the bushings or pins? I have the LGP and want to make sure i know what to look for. Thanks!
I don't have the pics from the D5, but here's one from a D7G that's totally worn. You can see the pin thru the bushing: If you can't tell, you're looking at the bottom side of the rail. I know that picture is not very good.
That is exactly what i needed to see. Thanks for the quick response D9GDon.
Cat had some heat treating issues on 312 C pins and bushings, about an 2004 vintage machines. Do you think the pins and bushing wore faster than the rest of the undercarrage components?