D5G while running it started slowing down. Then started blowing blue smoke. Went to idle and smoke quit and engine ran good. Increased throttle and everything was good. Went to forward and after 50 ft or so started blowing smoke again and engine slowed down and quit. Started up and engine was good for a minute or so then the same happened. Checked codes and 178 came up. Erased it and started dozer up idled for a few minutes and checked codes again. Same 178 again. Air intake heater relay cause it to loose power and blow blue smoke?
It depends on the exact Code. Unfortunately although Blink Codes identify which component is misbehaving (air inlet heater in this case) they don't narrow down exactly which failure mode is associated with it. One particular failure mode of the AIH will cause it to be permanently ON. Try pulling the Start Aid fuse. RH fuse panel, bottom row, extreme RH side. It probably will not put out the Fault Light but does it take away the low power/smoke symptoms.? If it does I'll give you a troubleshooting procedure for the AIH.
I never had a fault light. It started running bad and limped it back to the shop. I checked the codes at the harness code connector and code 178 came up.
Cleaned air filters and they looked good. Could not see any problems with air or exhaust system.
Was that the first Code that came up.? Did you try scrolling to check for any other Codes.?
That was the only code I saw. Cleared it and started the dozer. Drove it fwd and reverse. Checked codes and same 178 came up. To me it is like it is getting starved for air so starts running rich. I am going to take off hoses and stuff from air cleaner to turbo and see if there is some sort of blockage.
Did you try pulling the fuse for the air intake heater.?
No. I am not sure which fuse it is.
Take a look at Post #2 above, and the illustration.
In my book it says that fuse is for the ether aid starting system. But I will pull it and see what happens.
In my schematic that fuse is for the "start aid" which can be either ether (if installed) or an air inlet heater. they both operate from the same fuse. If you would like to supply a machine Serial Number I'll double check.
WGB-00293 What do you think about the running rich? Runs good then starts losing power and blowing blue smoke. Go to idle and the smoking quits and engine smooths out. Would inlet heater cause this? Almost seems as if it is being robbed of air somewhere. You are a heck of a lot more versed on all this than me just asking questions for my own knowledge.
For your Serial Number the fuse is listed as supplying power to the start aid, be that ether or an AIH, it works for both. Diagnostics is pretty simple. Keep on eliminating things until you find the problem. In this case you have a Code for the start aid. Eliminate that, even if it’s only temporary, and if the smoking symptoms persist move on with the diagnosis. Pulling a fuse takes but a few seconds and it eliminates a potential issue. The next step would be to take a look inside the intake and check the turbocharger.
Alright Nige. I removed the fuse. I cleared codes. Ran the dozer for a good hour using it very hard. Worked like a new dozer. No problems. Checked for codes when I was finished and no new codes. I still don't understand it, but it is now good. Thanks, I appreciate your help. I live in South Texas and don't use the dozer if it is below about 60 degrees, so I am just going to leave the fuse out.
Neither do I if I'm being honest, unless it is something to do with adding extra fuel if the start aid is energized. Attached is the troubleshooting procedure. From a quick look it appears to be most likely a wiring problem. To carry it out you will need to temporarily reinstall the fuse for the start aid.
Thanks, but I believe I will just leave the fuse out. I don't use any of my diesels if it is very cold and one for sure doesn't have any glow plugs and have never had a starting problem with it. I am 78 and have other things to keep me occupied in the cold weather. Thanks again Nige.