Hello everyone, I’m new to the forum and just bought my first dozer. It’s a Cat D5G LGP, the dozer has some hours but has been maintained very well by the previous owner. It will mostly perform farm tasks and carry a root rake for the remainder of its days at my place. I’m looking for advice on either changing out the sight glass or rigging up some sort of dipstick to check the hydraulic oil level. It looks like the hydraulic reservoir has to come out to change out the sight glass, so I’m leaning towards a dipstick since the filler neck screen has a slot for one. I’m pretty particular about checking my fluids before running my equipment so I’d like to get a short term solution so I won’t have to crawl around with a flashlight and look down the filler neck. Thanks in advance for any tips/advice!
Do you have an Operation & Maintenance Manual for it yet.? If not please post a Serial Number to identify the correct one.
I don’t have one yet. The SN is RKG01630, thanks
The hydraulic tank to be removed and split in half to gain access to replace the parts of the sight glass IIRC. The screen in the filler neck is in all probability a generic Part Number that fits (for instance) fuel tanks where a dipstick would be used. That doesn’t mean that it is intended to use a dipstick in this particular application although you could probably fabricate one. What I’m trying to say is that AFAIK there isn’t a Part Number that you can buy to drop straight into that slot on your particular tractor.
Search for Cat Publication reference number SEBU7801. It is priced at $52 for a download from the Cat Publications website or you may be able to find a used paper copy on an internet marketplace for less. Cat Publications Online - Order Cat® Parts and Operation Manuals Online Official source for Caterpillar® parts catalogs, operator and maintenance manuals, and service manuals for all Cat machines and engines. Purchase yours today! catpublications.com
Thanks for the help! I’ll probably replace the sight glass whenever I need to pull the tank. The screen in the bottom was recently replaced so I’m hoping it will be a while. In the meantime I’ll look around for a dipstick to get me going