Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

D5G Where to drain antifreeze with counterweight?

D3DaveC ยท 2012-04-25 20:57

I am going to change the thermostat on my 2005 Cat D5G but when I went under the front of it to take off the plate to access the drain I saw that the front weight covers the access plate. My D4G didn't have this weight and it was no problem to drain the antifreeze. Do I have to take off a heater hose on the side of the engine? Might get messy this way. Also when I installed a circulating heater on my D4G I took a plug out of the block near the back on the left side. No problem. On this D5G I noticed there is something attached to this different type of plug and a wire connected to it. I looked in the parts book but could not find this thing. Anyone know what this is? D5G has RKG prefex. Thanks

Replies3
  1. #1D3DaveC2012-04-26 23:56

    Got it done. Closed the heater hose valve on the left side, took off the heater hose, installed another hose then opened the valve to drain it to a pail.

  2. #2CM19952012-04-27 07:19

    I was thinking about this and doesn't the D5G's have a spout at the bottom of the radiator?

  3. #3D3DaveC2012-04-27 09:58

    Yes there is a spout with about 12 inches of hose attached. I was thinking of using a piece of pipe to slide into the end of the hose and to slide another hose onto that and maybe use the oil drain door but since I only needed to drain enough to get under the thermostat I used the heater hose.