Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

D5G XL

mike holcomb ยท 2026-07-13 08:42

F N R joystick always returns to fwd position whether machine is running or Off. Open cab machine WGB01130 im assuming after heavy rains last week water got in joystick and maybe shortened out a sensor? Anyone ever have this sort of issue. U have to hold it in neutral or reverse when running machine. Not in service truck today to take joystick apart to investigate. Wondering if anyone ran across this. Thanks

Replies11
  1. #1Nige2026-07-13 09:49

    Your best bet is to look at the electronics and see if there are any Active Diagnostic Codes. That might give you a clue. Codes can be accessed with nothing more complicated than a couple of bent paperclips.

  2. #2mike holcomb2026-07-13 11:25

    Thanks for the reminder about jumping the plug for codes. Forgot about that

  3. #3mike holcomb2026-07-14 10:43

    Im getting a 352 code ? Talked to one of the old service guys at cat, says joystick control isn't serviceable. U gotta buy the whole assembly, 1600 bucks might as well replace joystick handle since buttons are all falling apart. Another 600 bucks. Can't complain machine has been good all these yrs with minimal money put into it

  4. #4Nige2026-07-14 11:22

    In view of the cost of the joystick control & handle I think it might be wise to have someone hook ET up to the machine and take a look. it would be a shame to invest all that money and find it wasn't the problem. I don't see 352 on the list, but then again I don't see anything at all for the directional control. With your symptoms I would have thought 255 (F/N/R position sensor) would be the most likely.

  5. #5mike holcomb2026-07-14 11:38

    Service guy at cat told me it wont set a code cause technically everything is still working. With the control disconnected from machine it still goes into fwd position on its own. They told me it shouldn't do that. It should sit in N position when u let it go

  6. #6mike holcomb2026-07-14 11:43

    Before I leave with new part tomorrow I will check the new on to make sure it stays in F N R on its own. I need to buy ET now that we are getting rid of the Volvos and replacing with CATS

  7. #7Nige2026-07-14 11:45

    Right. Gotcha. I thought from your OP that the machine was moving when the control was in neutral, not that the control lever was physically moving from Neutral to FWD without any operator input.

  8. #8mike holcomb2026-07-14 11:53

    Yes , like the detent inside is messed up or one of the 3 elc parts under the cover is bad and letting it switch to fwd when u let go of handle. My luck the new one will have to be adjusted with ET once installed lol I remember yrs ago a buddy had a new d3g that would keep going in rev when you selected fwd. They backed into a few things before Cat figured it out cause it did it randomly

  9. #9Nige2026-07-14 12:04

    I think you'll be very lucky if it doesn't. Theoretically a new control should always need calibrating to the machine in which it is installed. The presence of a 255 blink code after replacing the control will be confirmation that a calibration is needed.

  10. #10mike holcomb2026-07-17 09:21

    I didn't check codes after I was done switching the FNR valve assembly, but everything seemed to work as it should. I only ran it for 5min after I got it back together, im sure they will call today if something isn't right. I do have to go back to put new handle on , they didn't realize I needed the pins to crimp on wires to repin plug. You'd think for 600 bucks it would come with atleast the pins nevermind the plug lol

  11. #11mike holcomb2026-08-03 17:46

    Dozer been back up and running for last 2 weeks. Didn't need to have CAT out to recalibrate anything in the F N R assembly..