ok as some of you know I've had my D5H in the shop for a few weeks tinkering when time allows. i noticed this fall i was getting a tick from engine area well turns out the exhaust manifold is leaking, probably gaskets. Does anyone know if i have to take injection pump off to get it outa there? Probably just going to stick it back together and work it until time allows this summer. Second question is on this injection pump is there anywhere i can pull cover off and tweak fuel a little? Wouldn't mind tinkering with that some. thanks!
You can loosen all the nuts and lift the rear of the manifold up and take it out. You may have a broken stud, drilling that out will be a challenge. May need to R&I the injector pump. Don't mess with the fuel settings. The flyweights and thrust washers get worn at the contact surfaces and if you change them the performance improves like opening the rack screw a quarter of a turn. Also look at the transfer pump check valves. Later Bob
where are the flyweights and thrust washers? I'm pretty good with a wrench but don't know a lot about injection pumps
Well if you get all the seals and gaskets to pull the governor housing pats off and reinstall then you could take the flyweights off and turn the washer and bearing assembly off and turn over. Put the flyweight assembly back on and use a new spring. Then it should work good. Later Bob
Bob, I heard a guy tell me once how he installed "larger" plungers in his pump on a D4H and it worked well and gave him more power. Is this even possible?
I suppose it could be done but I'm sure there are bigger plungers, I just go by part##. The volume of fuel injected determines the power and the rack controls that. To get more fuel and thus more power you can simply adjust the rack stop. I never recommend this as it could ruin the machine. This particular governor tends to wear the flyweight thrust washers and the more they wear the more sluggish the governor control gets and slower to pick up the load. Later Bob
gotcha. thanks