Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

D5H. Am I doing this correctly?

Jim Butler ยท 2025-12-22 08:52

Am I doing the correctly? I now have two D5H dozers. Both are high track machines. One is a series III I think with serial number 8RJ. It is a power shift with 3 forward and 3 reverse gears a torque converter, and a decelerator pedal. Operation of it is pretty obvious. My recent purchase is an older version, serial number 7NC. I think the badge is incorrect, this one appears to be a series I. It is a manual shift machine with 6 forward and 6 reverse gears, a clutch, and a forward or reverse selector. It also has no decelerator. I am trying to confirm that I am operating it correctly. During operation I set the gear shift, which is below the seat, I set the throttle, use the clutch, and shift forward to reverse with the engine at full throttle (again there is no decelerator). It seems to function well like this, although if the timing is not good the transmission grinds just a bit from forward to reverse. I am interested in information about the differences in the series I and the later machines. There are more differences than I would have thought. I think I like the direct drive of the series I but it's new to me and I'm not certain yet. Also the series I is a 4 way blade with manual angle; is there a "trick" to make this adjustment easily for one person? I am also looking for used shop manuals for this machine, including a winch manual for a 55H winch.

Replies21
  1. #1Tyler d4c2025-12-22 09:00

    That direct drive 6 speed you got there is on rare machine. As for the operation i have no input

  2. #2sled dog2025-12-22 09:09

    Jim, like all old direct drive machines, if you stab the brake at the same time you throw the clutch out to shift, you will not grind the gears. Even slight movement forward or reverse during the actual shift allows trans gears to turn, and hence grind. As far as the shift at full throttle, yes you are doing it correct.

  3. #3pittsburgh cat man2025-12-22 09:38

    Interesting dozer I can't ever remember running into a direct drive d5h. Most of the standard shift machines were agg cats used for farming or long pulls that would over heat the torque. The set up on it makes me think it was used for skidding logs.

  4. #4Jim Butler2025-12-22 09:41

    Thanks, I have a knack for finding rare equipment. Good information, thanks!

  5. #5Oxbow2025-12-22 09:53

    In regard to manually angling the dozer, the last one that I ran with that style of angle dozer was on a 17A D7, but I don't recall having any difficulty angling it..........assuming you lift it off of the ground aways.

  6. #6Tyler d4c2025-12-22 10:57

    Think it would have been a custom shop set up?

  7. #7pittsburgh cat man2025-12-22 11:15

    No it was a production machine they did make some custom machines. I remember going to a class to introduce the h models they showed a regular dozer a d6 i think trying to skid a huge log all it did was spin they un hooked the 6 and hooked up a 4h or 5h they called a logger special and it left with the log the roller frames were way longer in rear compared to a normal h model

  8. #8BC Placer gold2025-12-22 12:21

    We built a bunch of road up in the Toodoggone and the contractor had a Dh5 with a log grapple on the rear and the longer, rear biased track frame. They really liked it; it was fast and nimble.

  9. #9Welder Dave2025-12-22 17:59

    That sounds like the TSK models but I don't think they were around for very long. I was thinking they might get longer undercarriage life in reverse and be better balanced on steep terrain.

  10. #10Jim Butler2025-12-22 18:25

    Logging is possible. I bought it from an area where gas line work is prevalent so maybe used to pull trucksup steep hills or something .

  11. #11BC Placer gold2025-12-22 18:54

    Your are right, looked at some images of the TSK model, that is definitely the one I have been around In regards to original question as to why blade is hard to angle...not sure but we found it easier to do with two people on the larger dozers; of course that isn't always an option. Are any linkages binding up at all?

  12. #12Jim Butler2025-12-22 19:19

    I have not tried adjusting the angle yet. It looks like it should be an easy process, mechanically speaking. Everything is heavy obviously; I am thinking that getting the blade sitting on a stump or something may help leverage it for less manual force requirement. I suspect there is someone out here who has a technique for "easy" adjustment.

  13. #13pittsburgh cat man2025-12-22 19:26

    I think you will find it being off the ground it moves pretty easy careful it doesn't tilt though

  14. #14jook242025-12-24 13:04

    I have a 15 foot blade on mine i make sure that cat is sitting level side to side and front to back i pop one side out half way then pull the other side arm out then then go pull the other side out and swing the blade.I lift bade off about 16 inches.

  15. #15Jim Butler2025-12-24 15:05

    So you swing the blade by hand, or by manipulating the dozer? Are you then able to lift the arms back into the new sockets by hand?

  16. #16pittsburgh cat man2025-12-24 15:22

    Yes and yes

  17. #17pittsburgh cat man2025-12-24 15:25

    Yes to by hand and yes to putting arms in by hand

  18. #18jook242025-12-24 15:52

    yes i just have to put body weight on mine the arm im pulling out last then start swinging it around then when i get close i swing it into the pocket took me abit to get it but pretty easy now.

  19. #19Tones2025-12-24 16:33

    Yep, by hand. Swing to the position you want the lock 1 side into the hole and pin it, then do the other side and use the tilt control to get the vertical alignment. Only takes a few minutes. Even a little skinny runt like me could angle a D8 blade easily without power tilt.

  20. #20Jim Butler2025-12-24 18:29

    Got it, thanks.

  21. #21Jim Butler2025-12-24 18:29

    Cool, thanks.