Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

D5H final drive ?

farmin · 2022-02-23 16:49

I have an 89 d5h lgp that i believe is loosing oil from the final drive into the transmission. I have service manuals and parts book so i ordered an oring and a seal for the axle shaft where i think oil is passing through. I pulled the axle out and was ready to pull the gearset (the outside of the final with the bolts around the entire outside and the 3 bolts holding gears in) ill call it out to get at the seal. Before i did i was inspecting the inside and it appears i cants get that seal out without pulling the retainer ring off (9 bolts). I still have the track connected and all. If i pull the retainer ring off is the whole thing gonna fall apart on me? There are 10 pins behind the ring as well that just set in there is what i see in book.

Replies4
  1. #1Mobiltech2022-02-23 17:24

    You can do it by just pulling the planetary and then the retainer. Leave the track on but be aware that the bearing is the only thing holding the final on. If you are afraid of it moving you can put blocks under the housing. I have done many of them this way and have never seen the bearing move. If you want you can put a couple retainer bolts in with spacer washers to keep it there for sure.

  2. #2Dave Neubert2022-02-24 14:45

    Just split the track it is a lot easier

  3. #3farmin2022-03-01 14:43

    Thanks for the replys. Left track on and it worked just fine had it apart and back together less than an hour!

  4. #4Mobiltech2022-03-04 16:41

    I am wondering how splitting the track makes it easier? I have heard the dealers say that but don’t see how. As stated it takes less than an hour to do it with the track on.